New 21.5" Imacs

Reaction score
I'm really interested in buying one of these, but when i looked at them in the apple shop i noticed there are no RGB controls on them?

I am a pc user at the moment, and i use a gretagmacbeth profiler to calibrate my monitor.

Firstly can 21.5" imacs be color calibrated? And secondly how do you alter the rgb on them when profiling?

Thanks
Katie :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Hi Katie and welcome to MF!

Most - if not all - Apple displays don't have any user adjustable buttons on the side other than brightness and power.

All of the color controls are handled within OS X, which comes with a on-screen calibration utility.

I've never used or seen a 'gretagmacbeth' before so I don't know how it works, however assuming the device and software is compatible with OS X you will be able to use it to calibrate the monitor.

Hope that helps...

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi :)

Thanks for your reply and for the welcome.

Gretagmacbeth is also known as an eye-one profiler i think.

The glossy screen shouldnt interfere with the calibration then?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
For screen brightness, the controls are on the keyboard. They will be located on the F1 and F2 keys. F1 being darker, F2 being brighter. Sometimes the keyboard will require you to hold the 'fn' key to use the secondary controls for the F1-12 keys. If you want to set up color calibration, or make your own color profile (which what I do), it is very easy and user friendly to do.

Monitor Color Prefs
Screenshot2009-11-09at50840PM.png

Calibrator Assistant
Screenshot2009-11-09at50853PM.png

Hope this helps you out :)

P.S. If you were wondering about using the secondary F1-12 controls without having to hold 'fn', you can always go to System Preferences >> Keyboard and then uncheck the box next to "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys". That will allow you to use the secondary (or special) features/controls for the F1-12 keys.

when unchecked:

F1 = darken screen
F2 = brighten screen
F3 = Exposé
F4 = Dashboard
F5 = blank
F6 = blank
F7 = Previous Song / long press for rewind
F8 = Play/Pause
F9 = Next Song / long press for fast forward
F10 = mute
F11 = lower volume
F12 = increase volume

This is just for future reference, in case you were wondering, for your future iMac purchase.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.