eMac not finishing install of Mac OS X 10.4

Reaction score
Hi there,

I currently use a windows so I know nothing (or very little) about Macs.

From the start, a friend of mine gave me his old eMac the other day after having wiped it. It came with a copied version of the Mac OS X 10.4 (I think) and everytime I turn it on, it will either go to the installation of Mac OS X or it will go to a Grey and black screen with lots of code writing on it saying something about 'PowerMac4,4' and tells me to restart.

When I restart the eMac however, it carries on to the installation screen and lets me choose my language and agree to T&C's but when it asks me to select a 'destination volume to install the Mac OS X software', nothing is there. The Mac must read the installation CD however because it shows up on startup disk and on disk utility.

I've tried using disk utillity and when everytime I try 'verifying' the disk it says Error: No valid packages. It also says this when I try and verify the 38.2 GB Maxtor 4D040H2 and the 4.4 GB Pioneer DVD/CDRW DCR-111 that it shows along side the OS X install DVD.

Any help would be massively appreciated because I have no clue what to do with it! Sorry for the lack of any knowledge of Macs but I've literally just copied down what I've seen on the screen.

I just want to finish the installation of the Mac OS X and use the Mac but it just won't get past the destination volume part! :(

Hope you guys can help!
Thanks alot!

Daniel.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It came with a copied version of the Mac OS X 10.4 (I think)...

Couple of problems here. We don't discuss "copied" software...and you're not sure what version it is...so kind of hard to help.

You need to purchase an original retail copy of the Mac OS on eBay or other source.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
i've just checked and the CD says it's 10.4. What OS am I best buying to get the eMac to work?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i've just checked and the CD says it's 10.4. What OS am I best buying to get the eMac to work?

10.4 is a good OS to use on an eMac...if the model you have has an 867mhz CPU or faster, you could use 10.5 as well.

Good luck,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.