Mac Mini kernel panic

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have recently installed a new hard drive in my single core mac mini. When I try to start it, even from the restore disk, it goes into kernel panic. I have a macbook that I can slave the mini through but I have not been able to restore it from here. If there is any help you guys can offer that would be wonderful. Thank you in advance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey guys, I have recently installed a new hard drive in my single core mac mini. When I try to start it, even from the restore disk, it goes into kernel panic. I have a macbook that I can slave the mini through but I have not been able to restore it from here. If there is any help you guys can offer that would be wonderful. Thank you in advance.

New hardware can cause kernel panics...if you put the old hard drive back in do the kernel panics disappear?

Are you 100% sure the hard drive you purchased is compatible with a Mac-mini?

Lastly...it is possible the hard drive is defective. If the answer to the above questions are "yes"...then maybe return the hard drive for a another one.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the hard drive is 100% compatible, but can't I reformat it? The old HDD was fried and that is why I got this new one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure if the hard drive is 100% compatible, but can't I reformat it?

If you're not sure this hard drive is compatible with a Mac-mini...why did you buy it?

It certainly would seem that this hard drive is causing problems...leading to the theory that it is not "happy" being inside a Mac-mini.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
it is the exact match to the one I took out, but I guess there are things I can't see. Where do you suggest buying a compatible one? Thank you very much for your help by the way.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What brand and model is your new hard drive? I can't see how a 2.5" Laptop SATA drive would not work and cause a KP unless when taking the mini apart, something was messed up or put back together wrong.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The one I got is listed on there...

That's why I mentioned earlier that it's possible the drive is defective...or like "dtravis7" mentioned maybe there is an assembly/disassembly issue.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Seagate 100GB ATA Laptop Hard Drive ST9100822A
Manufacturer: Seagate
Momentus 4200.2
100GB AT DISC DRIVE
Model: ST9100822A
PN: 9AH234-020

those are the specs on the hard drive I got. On paper it's the same, but I don't know. On a side note, I was born in Modesto, always fun to see someone from my hometown :) thanks guys.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
I upgraded my MBP's HDD and had loads of problems. Have you checked your permissions?

My system was panicking and switched the drive back to the original and all was fine. I changed the drive for a new one and everything was fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.