Java all messed up after SL install

Reaction score
I'm having trouble with Java on both Firefox and Safari after a snow leopard install, and cannot find anything out about it online to fix it.

I have an early 2008 15" MacBook Pro.
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Firefox
This issue isn't causing me as many issues. When I log into WebVista (a board for the University of Minnesota where you access content for your classes, I get an error message that states in red at the bottom of the screen:

error.java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class com.apple.crypto.provider.HmacMD5.

This screen goes away and the browser check then shows the following:

It appears you do not have the Java 2 Runtime Environment installed.

However, there doesn't seem to be a way to actually do anything about this. What can I do?

The second, and much more pressing issue, is with Pearson's MySpanishLab online software. For one of my assignments, we need to use their online recording function to record audio to submit to our professor. I've done Pearson's browser check, and everything works fine, including doing an audio recording on the tester! But, when I try to run the program in the lab, the browser either crashes (and gives the huge error report attached as a pdf), or I get the following error message:

Java Plug-in 1.6.0_15 Using JRE version 1.6.0_15-b03-219 Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM User home directory = /Users/

I really need to figure out the problem java is having with safari, but ideally, I need to figure out them both.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

View attachment Java Crash Log.pdf

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.