backwards osx on windows 7..... my stupidity

Reaction score
Alright the other day i decided to format my mac and go strictly windows 7...... now i am regretting the decision and would like to reinstall osx onto my unibody mac book pro. I have tried using the windows disc management tool to partition my hdd and format the partition to fat32, but when i try to install os x (booting off the disc) i can see the fat32 partition but can not format it to Journaled.... please advise. I need windows for school but need osx for my laptop to last more than 45 min on battery please help. :D

Thanks-
Mohan

Reaction score
From what I can understand, you need OSX to be installed in the primary partition of the HDD for it to boot up. I am not very technical, but if you can change the disk priority, probably can be done.

I guess what you can do is clone your windows partition with HDclone or any other cloning software into an external drive, reinstall mac osx on the internal drive, repartition using bootcamp and then clone the windows partition back into the bootcamp partition. I know you can do it with HDclone but not sure if it will work with others.

OP
M
Reaction score
From what I can understand, you need OSX to be installed in the primary partition of the HDD for it to boot up. I am not very technical, but if you can change the disk priority, probably can be done.

I guess what you can do is clone your windows partition with HDclone or any other cloning software into an external drive, reinstall mac osx on the internal drive, repartition using bootcamp and then clone the windows partition back into the bootcamp partition. I know you can do it with HDclone but not sure if it will work with others.

Im not trying to make it my primary boot os. I just want to install it so i cant choose to boot os x if i need to use it. I really hope there is an easier way to do this because im way to lazy to go through all that.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Are you saying that when you start the OS X setup, Disk Utility won't let you format and change the file system to Mac OS Extended (Journaled)?

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes!

Are you saying that when you start the OS X setup, Disk Utility won't let you format and change the file system to Mac OS Extended (Journaled)?

Yes exactly.... and i don't understand why :Angry-Tongue:

-
Mohan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How exactly have you gone about formatting? Did you simply select the existing partition and try to format it as Mac OS Extended? Did you try erasing all partitions and then creating a new one on the drive?

OP
M
Reaction score
How exactly have you gone about formatting? Did you simply select the existing partition and try to format it as Mac OS Extended? Did you try erasing all partitions and then creating a new one on the drive?

Yes i just selected my fat32 partition and tried to format it to Mac OS Extended. It will not allow me to format it into Mac OS Ext.. Im trying to format from the booting off of the install discs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So you're just selecting the partition and are trying to change the file format? That's not gonna work. You have to delete the FAT32 partition and then create a new Mac OS Extended partition.

OP
M
Reaction score
So you're just selecting the partition and are trying to change the file format? That's not gonna work. You have to delete the FAT32 partition and then create a new Mac OS Extended partition.

can i do this without deleting my windows partition?

Reaction score
I would recommend backing up your windows partition on an external hd if your doing this anyway.

But you should be able to just delete the fat32 partition and then add a new partition formatted in the mac os extended (journaled) format. If it wont let you add another partition delete the whole thing format it as mac os extended (journaled) install osX then make another bootcamp partition and put your windows backup on the bootcamp partition.

That make sense? haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
can i do this without deleting my windows partition?

Based on what you've said, it looks like you're gonna have to wipe it clean and start fresh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.