Mac mini connected to HDTV problem

Reaction score
Hi All,

Got a new mac mini connected to a 26" HDTV via the HDMI port.

I've set the screen resolution to 1080i, however on the tv the bar at the top of the screen gets cut off. I've tried 720i and it's the same. If I choose one of the other resolutions the bar is there but I don't have a decent enough resolution to choose from on the list.

Does anyone know how I can get the display to fit the screen at 1080i? I've tried the zoom options on the TV etc and it's made no difference.

or, can someone tell me how I get get more resolution options on the mac, i.e. more than the 600 pixels high option its giving me?

OP
L
Reaction score
Just to add to this, if I tell the Mac to display the screen at a rotation of 180 degree, then the screen looks perfect, but upside down. When I go back to standard, the bar is missing and the quality is terrible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Look for the overscan option in the Display settings in System Preferences. Give that a shot.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Set the resolution to the TV's max, whether that's 1080 or 720.

imho: text on a HDTV from a Mac, looks terrible (has to do with the way Mac's render fonts so that wysiwyg when you go to print). It'll be fine for pictures, movies, etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.