macbook battery needs replacing - any advice on options?

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 3 yr old macbook and the battery is dead so I can only use it with external power. I went into the apple store in London and they told me I would need to buy a new one. Apple batteries are £99 but on ebay I can find ones made by other companies for about £40. Has anyone used any of these cheaper options sucessfully?

thanks
Hayden

Reaction score
bump.

I wondered the same thing. My battery is long gone, flat as a dodo with near 500 cycles.

I looked online in the apple store and found that the batteries were £99. I just popped into the actual store and a genius told me they were £77.

Online there are some cloned batteries for half of that price, are they ok?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
While my old MB was under warranty, I took it in a few times and they replaced the battery for free. Has this changed recently?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
You can buy he generic batteries on ebay for about $40-$50 most with free shipping and 1 year warranty, I have never had a problem with them, Beats paying Apple $119 for one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.