Mac Mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
I just switched from a PC to a new MacBook Pro a couple of weeks ago. I still haven't figured out how to move from one email to the next. IOW, let's say I have a message open, and I want to move to the next message without having to go back to the inbox. There were icons for this in Outlook, but I haven't found anything explaining how to do this with my Mac mail. Suggestions please? Many thx!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
In Mail its should be easy. Once mail is open there should be a left column where all your folders are. Inbox, sent, trash etc. You will have a top header bar and underneath that should be a window where all your inbox mail should be, As long as you have clicked inbox in the left column.

Hope the image helps explain.
Note i have clicked on the *sent* instead of inbox, but is same deal for both.
Once you have clicked on a msg just click on the next in the line and it will appear in the bottom window.

Hope this is what you are meaning
20091109-mcd347a4p2snkskpgew3mgjdk1.jpg

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Thank you for your replies. I don't think I've explained clearly enough what it is that I'm after.

I know about the email list itself, but that's not what I'm asking.

If I open a new email, and I want to go directly to my next new email without having to go back to the inbox and selecting the next message, there were arrows in Outlook that allowed me to either go to the next new email from the current message, or I could go back to the previous message. I didn't have to go back to the list of emails to get to the next message. Does that make sense?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Uhh yep sorry for misunderstanding ....... The 4 arrow buttons on your keyboard on the right near the *option* key. You can cycle through them with those ??

So you just looking for a shortcut ? Instead of mousing up to the next or previous msg ?

Apart from that im lost at what u mean as i never used outlook :(

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
No, those arrow buttons aren't what I'm talking about. I don't know how else to ask this question, so I'll keep researching it on my own. Thx, anyway.

Reaction score
No, those arrow buttons aren't what I'm talking about. I don't know how else to ask this question, so I'll keep researching it on my own. Thx, anyway.
Short answer: You can't.
There is no "Next Message" arrow icon in Mac Mail. If you open a message, the only way to get to the next message is to open it from the main Mail window. Clearly, you can see the email in the "preview" pane of the Mail program (like Outlook) - but that isn't really reading it.

Mac Mail isn't a replacement for Outlook - it just has better access to the Exchange Server than the old version of Mail (from Leopard).
It is what it is supposed to be - a simple, free, email program that uses the MAPI interface to Exchange. If you don't use an Exchange Server, you might want to look around for an POP3 email client that works more like Outlook for the Mac.
If you use it on an Exchange Server, this is only one of a number of "differences" you'll uncover. For one: Try to make a rule. This one will kill you. They are local to the Mac and have no relationship to the rules you created and stored on the Exchange Server.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
I'm not looking for a "replacement" for Outlook. I'm perfectly happy with Mac Mail. I was just asking whether it had a feature I was used to in Outlook. It doesn't, but that's fine. I just asked the question, is all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Have you opened the preview pane so you have the selected message below the list of messages? I believe it's closed by default. If not drag the little dot on the bottom of the window, in the middle, up towards the messages.
You can then flick through the messages with the three finger swipe on the trackpad or the arrow keys as mentioned above.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.