Macbook boot problem

Reaction score
Hi,
My first post here...
I have weird boot problem on my 2.2 ghz, macbook, os-x.
I it all started when the copmuter got stuck.
When i hard suted it and tried to restart it took ages to start up again.
Since then i've tried everything including "erase and install".
Now the situation is that when booting it stuckk few mintues on the white screen with the apple sign and gray wheel, and after it shows os-x messege with red "safe boot".
I don't press anything during the boot process, but every time it starts on "safe mode".
Any one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Welcome to mac forums.
I'm not sure as to what you mean by hard suted..... I'm guessing you meant hard booted, but it sounds like your shift key is stuck.
Question! When you type is everything coming up in uppercase (capitals)?

OP
O
Reaction score
Welcome to mac forums.
I'm not sure as to what you mean by hard suted..... I'm guessing you meant hard booted, but it sounds like your shift key is stuck.
Question! When you type is everything coming up in uppercase (capitals)?
Thanks for your reply.
:Oops:Hard booted of course... (press the power button for few seconds).
I thought about the oprtion that the shift key is stuck, but when i type its not capital.
Another thing that probably not connected- i only have one volume shows now- ("untitled"), perviously i had boot camp as well

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
OK.... it sounds like a multitude of problems arising from trying to resolve the original issue, now that you mention your untitled volume.
I suspect that you have a working backup, and therefore at this stage, due to being past the usual troubleshooting that I would normally suggest, I'd recommend the last resort first.

Before going on though, when you say untitled, I have to ask if you have the hard drive... "size and model of hard drive, and under that, the untitled partition which would normally be Macintosh HD") in the left column of disk utility?

If so, booting from install disc holding C when you hear tone on startup, choose language, then continue.
Then go to utilities/disk utility in menu bar, choosing that untitled, and erasing again, being sure that you format as Macintosh OS extended (journaled), and then proceeding with SL installation again..... however, before following through with restoring from backup, let the installation complete, and restart, and then see if your mac is back to good.
Either way, post back with the results, and we can take it from there!

OP
O
Reaction score
OK.... it sounds like a multitude of problems arising from trying to resolve the original issue, now that you mention your untitled volume.
I suspect that you have a working backup, and therefore at this stage, due to being past the usual troubleshooting that I would normally suggest, I'd recommend the last resort first.

Before going on though, when you say untitled, I have to ask if you have the hard drive... "size and model of hard drive, and under that, the untitled partition which would normally be Macintosh HD") in the left column of disk utility?

If so, booting from install disc holding C when you hear tone on startup, choose language, then continue.
Then go to utilities/disk utility in menu bar, choosing that untitled, and erasing again, being sure that you format as Macintosh OS extended (journaled), and then proceeding with SL installation again..... however, before following through with restoring from backup, let the installation complete, and restart, and then see if your mac is back to good.
Either way, post back with the results, and we can take it from there!

When i look on disk utility threre are (on the left side) 149.1 GB hitachi HD, and the "untitled" one looks like part of him (under him, connected).
The "partition" option possible only for the first one(Hitachi).
Like you wrote- the last time i did the installation, i didn't restore anything , and actually it didn't ask me if i want to.
I don't really care about the information i had on the hard disk.
Do you think i need to do another installation? I already did 2...

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would go through the installation again, as it sounds like when you erased the disk for a clean install, that you chose the wrong disk.

Yep... the untitled is your user HD.

OK... I would try a clean install again... following these steps:
-Insert your Snow Leopard disc.
-Start up, then hold the C key immediately when you hear the tone.
-Choose language a press continue.
-Go to Utilities/disk utilities in menu bar.
-Select untitled HD and click erase tab and select format as Macintosh OS extended (journaled)
-Click erase
-Once erased (which will take a matter of seconds), quit disk utility, and continue installation.
Once complete, post back with results.

OP
O
Reaction score
So i did anything you wrote...it's all the same..
Takes a lot of time to boot, and then the os-x screen with the red "safe boot".
Any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
O
Reaction score
YES!:D
Finally it's working ok!
I went to the troubleshooting and somewhere between step 8-10 the problem solved.
Thanks you very much for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great to hear... Glad it worked :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.