Cannot Print Postscript

D

digid

I can't not print any adobe files. I'm on a MacOSX 10.2.6 box printing to a linux CUPS server. I saved several adobe files directly as a postscript files and tried to print it, but I can't even do that directly from the print server Linux Box (that's taking the OSX out of the equation).

I have an Epson Stylus Photo 2200 connected via usb that can print anything but adobe files. I also have a tektronix phaser 8200 connected via usb as well. it's a post script printer. when i send it a command like 'lp -d Phaser Example.ps' it just spit out garbage (that's the linux or osx box too).

I'm not sure what is going on. If it was ghostscript, then the tektronix phaser would be able to print the postscript file correctly since it was a postscript printer(right?) and not the epson. but neither can print PS or interept data sent to it from a remost host sending it Adobefiles to be wrapped in PS. When this happens, the MacOS X box reports that "client-document-format-not-supported."

Is it cups? Any ideas, at all? :/

The setup is A Gentoo Linux Box with ESP Ghostscript 7.05.6, CUPS 1.1.19, Gimp-print 4.3.20 (for the epson) and tk8200dp.ppd for the phaser8200. I have checked the ppd on the http://www.cups.org/testppd.php webpage and it says PASS, but it just won't print. I'm at a loss. help, please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Have you tried just sending the pdf file to the postscript printer? That should work.. if not there is something definitely wrong, since that's the whole point of pdf's.. they are perfect for postscript printers...

OP
D

digid

Murlyn said:
Have you tried just sending the pdf file to the postscript printer? That should work.. if not there is something definitely wrong, since that's the whole point of pdf's.. they are perfect for postscript printers...

Yeah i have sent everything. I have sent Postscript files directly to the postscript printer.

I noticed in the logs that the mime.types (/etc/cups/mime.types & /etc/cups/mime.convs) for CUPS wasn't set to accept application/octet-stream so I uncommented that. Now I can print Adobe Files, but it just spits out postscript garbage

OP
S

sloanie

Having a similar problem here. I'm unable to print any post script documents from OS X (panther) to either of 2 post script printers (HP Laserjet 8150 series and HP Business Inkjet 2600). If I try to print normally it spits out garbage. Figured out that if I print low-res it will print, but much of the text comes out garbled and unreadable-- it's almost like the files Quark 6 is sending the printer are too large for the printer to handle or something. Saving the files in Quark 5 format and printing from an OS 9 box from Quark 5 seems to work fine, but it's terribly inconvenient / inefficient.

OP
D

davidp158

Mind if I hijack this thread for a moment? I'm trying to find out about printing Postscript files to inkjet printers in OSX. Is a Postscript RIP still required to do this? I need a 13 x 19" inkjet printer for proofing graphic design work. I need to know if the HP Postscript RIP (emulator on some models, real Adobe Postscript 3 RIP on others) works with OSX. I can't seem to get any info on this from HP, and none of the mail order vendors have answers.

Is there a thread on this forum, or a link somewhere that compares 13 x 19" inkjet printers?

thanks for letting me butt in,
Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
no, mines a canon ink jet printer, I have no RIP here, mine only prints up to 10" wide though, but great as my home printer with my icc color profiles and colorsync set up correctly, and with the help of adobe's CME's, I get press/pre-ress proof quality prints.

OP
D

davidp158

Macman,

What kind of files are you printing? Are you printing layout or illustration files with EPS vector artwork? The majority of inkjet printers do a good job with bitmap images and type faces, but I need to confirm which inkjet printers will print Postscript data and if a RIP is required with OSX.

thanks,
Dave

Macman said:
no, mines a canon ink jet printer, I have no RIP here, mine only prints up to 10" wide though, but great as my home printer with my icc color profiles and colorsync set up correctly, and with the help of adobe's CME's, I get press/pre-ress proof quality prints.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ive printed vector artwork made in illustrator then taken into quark as an eps with gradients and gradient meshes, or I just place the file into indesign, Ive printed full spreads including gradients and pantone colors and 3d effects made in illustrator cs, transparency, overlapping transparencies and the like. it mna have to do with printer drivers, cause a friend of mine is having trouble printing any postscript files through indesign or as a pdf or anything, but his printers a little older, and his drivers dont support postscript printing.

OP
D

davidp158

Vincent,

Thanks for the clarification. Sorry if I appeared to be a bit insistant on this Postscript issue, but I needed to confirm that you were printing placed Postscript files. Apparently, you are getting good results without a Postscript RIP, which is good. I'm just confused why there are Postscript RIPS out there for OSX, but as you say, it may come down to the printer driver.

What model Canon printer is yours, and has it been reliable for you? Are you connected via USB, Firewire or Ethernet? In OS9, some of the printer drivers won't properly pass Postscript data through USB.

thanks again for your replies (and patience),
Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
its usb, I know its a canon, its squareish and silver with gray, as far as the model, Ill have to check.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.