Problem With Verifying Disk Permissions

Reaction score
Hello;

I purchased a MacBook Pro/2.4 GHz/OS 10.5.8 a few months ago and as i've always done with my Macs, try to run Verify and Repair Disk Permissions every couple of weeks via Disk Utility, especially after doing a lot of processing.

But ever since the first time I did this with the new Mac, both the verification and repair processes take a long time (between 3 - 5 minutes each) and the history list always lists a lot of out of place permissions. And then even after I repair these permissions, they still appear when I run Disk Utility, whether I restart or not and even if I run it immediately after they were just repaired. Have attached a screen shot of the repairs the appear in the history window.

What is causing this and is there a remedy for it?

Thanks very much for any help.

x
SG

disk utility.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And don't worry about the time it takes, just let id do its job. Just run Repair Permissions and save the Verify time. When Leopard OS X.5 was first released, twenty two minutes was the norm so things have improved remarkably!

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

Thanks for the link and the information. Was very relieving. Just thought the issue was an odd one because if I ever did have out of place permissions on my old OSX and PowerBook G4, they were quickly corrected (i.e. no longer appeared) once disk permissions were repaired using Disk Utility...

:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.