• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Putting your 8mm movies on to you New iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Version 10.5.8 Mac OS X 2.66 GHz 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Ok, so I have been having major issues over the last few years trying to get my old 8mm movies on to my computer. I had a PC before and spent lots of money buying several devices that didn't work. So one of the items I bought was a Dazzle Hollywood DV-Bridge off E-bay. Well the iMac would recognize the device but it would not recognize the camcorder (Sony DCR-TRV310). So it didn't work on the iMac for me and that is the whole point of me getting a iMac. I really think it is my Camcorder though. My old camcorder may of worked before but it is in really bad shape from many years of abuse. I dropped it from about ceiling height before and I sent it to Sony to get it repaired. It has never been the same since, as many more years have pasted and now it is missing the eye piece and doesn't open and close correctly ect. So if you are wanting to get your analog 8 mm, Hi-8, and Digital 8 movies onto your computer all you need to do is just go buy a Sony Video Walkman GV-D800 off Ebay or Craigslist ect. They are expensive and Sony no longer makes them, but I only paid like $300 plus shipping. It is working just great though and worth every penny. I can just plug it straight into the new iMac without any special devices and it works great in iMovie too. All you do is go from the DV in/out on the device with a 4 pin to 6 pin wire and a 6 pin to 800 Firewire (think it is a 9 pin) adapter into the iMac. Bought the adapter from the Mac store. I am so happy now that this is finally working and it is not a problem anymore. My 8mm's are in Digital format now and they have sound too. This player is so great! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Thanks for letting people know of that device.

The manual I found for that camera says that is has an i.Link (Firewire) port. That should have allowed you to use the camera with your iMac and with a PC with a Firewire port.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.