Hard Drive Problems

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Maxtor OneTouch 4 mini, 250 gb external portable hard drive.

I recently began having problems with the drive after I accidently pulled it out of my computer without properly ejecting it. I was in the middle of copying files over to the device when I left it, when I returned my computer's screen had gone black (from sitting idle),at which point I pulled out the hard drive thinking that the computer had shut off and had finished copying over my files. Unfortunately, this was not the case.

Now, when I plug in my hard drive, it fails to mount. The little light on the hard drive itself flashes, but it will not show up on my computer. It also does not show up in disk utility.

Is there any way to fix this or get my files off of the hard drive?

Thanks in advance for any help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You may be able to recover files with data recovery software. However, if Disk Utility can't "see" the drive, it may not be possible.

Stellar Data Recovery software may work. Download their demo to see if it will work. If it does, buy a license.

Link

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.