can I easily add a Mac to my network?

Reaction score
Home network is pc based DSL wireless g. Desktop is dying and will be replaced with iMac, more than likely. Wireless Canon printer.

I'd rather not redesign my network if I can help it. Can I easily add a Mac desktop to my existing network (Belkin)? Do I need anything special, like a peripheral or special software?

My router is actually pretty old, but works great. Is it possible it will have some problems with an out of the box Mac?

I think these are all simple questions, and probably are in the FAQ somewhere. But I hope you'll humor me. O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Macs can be added to a network very easily. Just plug it in or connect it to the wireless network and you're good to go. No extra software or hardware needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
I would recommend making sure your routers firmware/software is up to date. I had some issues with my MBP and my old Linksys router until I upgraded the firmware (later replaced with an AEBS); however, as Kash says you should have no issues if everything is current.

Keep your modem or router firmware up to date

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Home network is pc based DSL wireless g. Desktop is dying and will be replaced with iMac, more than likely. Wireless Canon printer.

Had a Canon MP760 and scanning from Macs wirelessly was not simple, changed to a Brother MFC 885 and scanning wirelessly to either iMac is no problem. If u are buying a Printer for wireless use, see if you can find someone who is using the same model, the way you want to. Multi functions with Fax can add more hurdles to jump.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
changed to a Brother MFC 885

I changed to a Brother MFC685CW, I agree with Collin Bl, works amazingly well for such a good price point. I have never had an issue with this printer on my network whatsoever.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.