file sharing from mac to XP - but IP keeps changing!

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm file sharing from my Macbook to my PC, using a FTP program installed on my PC, using my wireless home network (Netgear router).

Everything is fine, and I can transfer files, and access all the folders etc.. But everyday the IP address of my macbook changes, and I have to constantly change that in my FTP program..

Not a huge problem, but certainly a pain in the butt to be constantly having to look up the new IP etc..

So is there a way to give the macbook a permanant IP address?

thanks in advance

MG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
sure, give it a static dhcp address on your dhcp server...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Go into the Ethernet properties under System Preferences > Network. Choose "Manually" from the drop down box and give yourself a manual IP address. Make sure the IP you enter is in the same subnet the router hands out, but not in the same range the router uses for DHCP. Now it will not change.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go into the Ethernet properties under System Preferences > Network. Choose "Manually" from the drop down box and give yourself a manual IP address. Make sure the IP you enter is in the same subnet the router hands out, but not in the same range the router uses for DHCP. Now it will not change.
on any network he attaches to.

OP
M
Reaction score
thanks for the quick replies..

so.. just to get this straight..

looking at the attached devices in my router settings, all my networked computers all have 192.167.1.X as the common numbers in their IP.

So is it just a case of making a number up?
For instance I could give it the number 192.167.1.99

What about the other fields on my Macbook Ethernet setings: Subnet Mask / Router / DNS Server / Search domains - Do I need to find this information as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, you do... this becomes more complex. just set an Address Reservation under LAN setup. This will give that MAC address the same IP ALWAYS. Then you don't need to give it any more information, making things much simpler.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.