• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Helping the PC Friend

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
I got the call this AM. "Help! New Dell, no sound!" I suppose we all get a few calls like that. But this case was just a little different. When I got there I discovered three things wrong with the setup. All of them were sound killers. In my troubleshooting this is what I found:
1. Speakers plugged into the wrong jack. Hey, it's color coded! This is the typical beginner mistake.
2. When I traced the power cord, it terminated at an unpowered USB hub. I.E, no power to the speakers.
3. These Dell speakers had a virtually hidden on/off volume dial incorporated into the design of the top of the right speaker box. It was turned off.

That's more things wrong with a speaker setup than I've ever seen before. It was fun fixing it!

Reaction score
A few years ago, I was playing around on my friend's Dell PC. I started playing a music track, and the sound blared throughout the house and nearly shattered his windows. I couldn't find the volume control, since it was on the top of the speaker (and I was used to speakers that had the dial on the bottom). I have since hated Dell speakers, since they nearly made me go deaf. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.