old g3 ibook possibilities

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
I just found my old 13' G3 iBook. I plugged in the power supply and it booted up running OS 9.2 to my surprise. The battery won't hold a charge, so before I do anything I'll have to invest in a new one.

However the internal HD is puny, and there's not much memory. So what are my options? Is there a way I can get OS X to run on it? Some slimmed down version, would seem the only option if there even was one.

Then there's no Airport card. I guess a USB version might work, but I'm in uncharted waters. What's the largest drive and memory chip I can put in it?

I guess the bottom line question would be, is there any cost worthy option available?

Additional data:
9.3gig ATA HD and 8meg of video memory
256k L2 cache
384 meg built in Memory
500mhz processor

KKKKFL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M
Really not worth it... 500 Mhz is slow. I'm guessing 10.3 is the highest you can go without any hacks. Wikipedia will probably tell you more.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just found my old 13' G3 iBook. I plugged in the power supply and it booted up running OS 9.2 to my surprise. The battery won't hold a charge, so before I do anything I'll have to invest in a new one.

However the internal HD is puny, and there's not much memory. So what are my options? Is there a way I can get OS X to run on it? Some slimmed down version, would seem the only option if there even was one.

Then there's no Airport card. I guess a USB version might work, but I'm in uncharted waters. What's the largest drive and memory chip I can put in it?

I guess the bottom line question would be, is there any cost worthy option available?

First of all you don't have a 13" iBook...iBooks only came in 12" or 14" varieties (and the 500mhz version only came in a 12.1").

Second, it really would be expensive to do everything you mentioned:

- new battery
- more ram
- bigger hard drive
- newer OS version
- airport card

After you did all of these upgrades, you could have probably used all of the money spent...and purchased a better/newer/and faster laptop.

As far as the OS version...you could definitely run up to OS 10.4.11...but no 10.5.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
Thanks Nick,
sorry bout the dimension mistake... its definitly not 13 feet... hehehe and yes it is a 12inch model(12"). I did do a clean OS 10.2 install last nite, and it likes that. Since I have a nice iMac, and a newer power book, this is just something to keep in the family room for quick looks at IMDB or checking company e-mail which brings me to my next question.

Has anyone tried one of the 3rd party USB wireless connectors? I'm just looking for the cheapest way to link up to the internet, which might be a long cable to the back of the router if the USB solution is troublesome.

Thanks

KKKKFL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Firstly use software update to make sure that Panther installation is up to date. You can download the installer to any machine you have with an internet connection.

Mac OS X Combined Update 10.3.9

OWC do a wireless USB adaptor for 20 bucks (requires 10.3.9)

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/MXP802GU2/

The full specs for that macbook are one of these
Apple iBook G3/500 (Dual USB - Tr) Specs (iBook - Dual USB - M7698LL/A*) @ EveryMac.com
Apple iBook G3/500 (Late 2001 - Tr) Specs (iBook - Late 2001 - M8597LL/A) @ EveryMac.com

You should be able to get 640 M of Ram in that and a cheap hard drive should be inexpensive.

Instructions for upgrading that model can be found here

iBook G3 12" Repair - iFixit

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since I have a nice iMac, and a newer power book, this is just something to keep in the family room for quick looks at IMDB or checking company e-mail which brings me to my next question.

I totally understand your purposes for this computer...I've been in the same situation. In my earlier post I was mostly saying that if you wanted to do ALL of the upgrades you mentioned it would be fairly pricey versus the current value of your laptop.

I've had the opportunity to purchase a laptop similar to yours recently..and I could have gotten it for around $75 dollars with a working Airport card...realistically according to Mac2Sell...it's only worth around $60 dollars.

Here's a quick idea of the costs:

- used airport card on eBay...$20-$30
- 512 meg of ram about $30
- newer OS (10.4) over $100+
- new battery at least $50
- new hard drive $60-$70 bucks

Plus add shipping to these prices.

Total cost of all upgrades would easily (with shipping) be around $300!:(

So as you can see...it wouldn't take many dollars spent in upgrades to exceed the value of the laptop ($60). So I'm just saying be careful how much you spend upgrading this computer...you may not want it to turn into a "money pit"!;)

To me...the wireless internet would be the first upgrade I would do. Then the ram. A newer version of the OS would be nice...but expensive...I wouldn't even bother with the hard drive or a new battery....unless you can find something used locally that is cheap & don't have to pay shipping.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
Thanks Louishen,
I will do the 10.3.9 update and spring for the OWC USB adaptor for 20 bucks. Remember I just want to check e-mail and lazy me do Movie searches(IMDB) from the couch, when I can't remember an actors name.

KKKKFL

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
Update:
Well I got to 10.2.8 but it seems one needs to pay for 10.3 and quite frankly, the ethernet cable behind the couch works fine. I upgraded Firefox to the last version that supports 10.2 but firefox then jumps to 10.4 so I'm stuck.

May look through all the CD/DVD's in the bottom drawer and see if an ole 10.3 is there for laptops.

KKKKFL

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update:
Well I got to 10.2.8 but it seems one needs to pay for 10.3 and quite frankly, the ethernet cable behind the couch works fine. I upgraded Firefox to the last version that supports 10.2 but firefox then jumps to 10.4 so I'm stuck.

May look through all the CD/DVD's in the bottom drawer and see if an ole 10.3 is there for laptops.

Sure you have to pay for 10.3. The same goes for 10.4, 10.5, and 10.6.

Yeah...the ethernet cable behind the couch will work fine...but if you want additional freedom of mobility with that laptop (such as in a bedroom, going outside on a deck, basement, or garage)...that's where the Airport card comes in handy.

And that's why an Airport card would be the first upgrade I would make to the laptop. Of course if you don't have a wireless router...then the Airport card wouldn't do you any good.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
You're right about the mobility issue. And I would purchase the 10.3 cd if reasonable, but the guy at the apple store told me it would be over 100 dollars... and doubted they still had it. If I can get the cd, I would then purchase the USB device that's 20 bucks... first I need 10.3 however.

KKKKFL

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're right about the mobility issue. And I would purchase the 10.3 cd if reasonable, but the guy at the apple store told me it would be over 100 dollars... and doubted they still had it. If I can get the cd, I would then purchase the USB device that's 20 bucks... first I need 10.3 however.

KKKKFL

Why do you think I keep suggesting you get a used Airport card off eBay???...you don't need OS 10.3 to use an Airport card!!!

Plus with an Airport card you won't have an inconvenient USB device sticking out the side of your laptop waiting to get broken off!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
i was thinking bout getting an old iBook Clamshell to keep next to the couch for a internet only browser. And using an old iMac (colored one, hoping for a DV iMac) and plug in a big external HDD and use it for a MP3/Video server. but thats my only uses for the older macs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.