How to transfer files from MacBook to External?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm having some trouble. I tried to upgrade my OS from Leopard to Snow Leopard, but the installation always failed. So, someone installed the Leopard OS to an external HD, which I am booting off of, so that I can take all my personal documents from my MacBook and put them on the external. Then, I want to wipe the disk clean using Boot 'n Nuke and install Snow Leopard fresh onto the Macbook.

The problem is I can't transfer my files from the MacBook to the external drive. When I try to create a disk image, it says "Unable to create...image", when I try to just copy the folders off I get some strange error code that tells me to check my disk, which I do using Disk Utility and it always comes out fine. Any advice?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Go to open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
Try to check permissions for all files.
If there is problem, fix it.

Hope this helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
I've never run the OS off an external HD. But it sounds to me as if the Mac regards the external as the main Macintosh HD, and sees the internal drive as the external. I assume you can see your files in Finder. So, I wouldn't try to create a disk image. I'd just boot up from the external HD, bring up two Finder windows, then copy or drag files to the Macintosh HD. I think that should put them on the external drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
Why not just drag (copy) your documents to an external data HD and when you have wiped out your Mac then just copy them back to your Mac HD?

Hi all,

I'm having some trouble. I tried to upgrade my OS from Leopard to Snow Leopard, but the installation always failed. So, someone installed the Leopard OS to an external HD, which I am booting off of, so that I can take all my personal documents from my MacBook and put them on the external. Then, I want to wipe the disk clean using Boot 'n Nuke and install Snow Leopard fresh onto the Macbook.

The problem is I can't transfer my files from the MacBook to the external drive. When I try to create a disk image, it says "Unable to create...image", when I try to just copy the folders off I get some strange error code that tells me to check my disk, which I do using Disk Utility and it always comes out fine. Any advice?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I'm still stuck on your original post of "installation failed"... so my question is why and how?
Before I try and assist you in resolving this, I need a little more info! I can't help but be a little suspicious!
Macbook specs?
Install method?
Not really willing to ask more questions before at least getting that info, and I hope that others will follow!

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses.

Go to open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
Try to check permissions for all files.
If there is problem, fix it.

Hope this helps

I did this, and the Disk Utility showed a green sign that said the Mac HD was OK.

vegasgeorge said:
copy or drag files to the Macintosh HD. I think that should put them on the external drive.

I tried doing this also but I get an error code. I'm going to take this to the Apple Store tomorrow to see if they have any advice.

OP
I
Reaction score
Update from the Mac store: They're replacing my hard drive since it was apparently faulty. Thanks for all your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.