• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

What DVD's do I need to buy? (iDVD)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz Macbook Alum.
I need to send basic .mov files to iDVD and export them on a DVD that is compatible with as many DVD players as possible.

So far I have seen DVD-R and DVD+R discs.

Which type should I get/ what brand do you recommend?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Both are fine although DVD+R is a newer version but works in about 89% of all DVD players. Saying that, I have yet to find a DVD player that won't play a DVD+R disc and so I reckon they must only not work in very old players.

If you want 100% playback capability, leaving no loose ends then use DVD-R.

OP
JMDylan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz Macbook Alum.
Both are fine although DVD+R is a newer version but works in about 89% of all DVD players. Saying that, I have yet to find a DVD player that won't play a DVD+R disc and so I reckon they must only not work in very old players.

Thanks for the information. I will look around and see what the price difference is. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

89% of statistics are made up on the spot 99% of the time. ;)

There is no such thing as 100% playback capability with homemade DVDs. For instance my DVD player from 1999 does not play them.

Plus, check with System Profiler to see what discs your burner supports. Look under the Hardware section in the 'Disc Burning' section at the line heading that says 'DVD-Write:'.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
89% of statistics are made up on the spot 99% of the time. ;)

There is no such thing as 100% playback capability with homemade DVDs. For instance my DVD player from 1999 does not play them.

Plus, check with System Profiler to see what discs your burner supports. Look under the Hardware section in the 'Disc Burning' section at the line heading that says 'DVD-Write:'.

Agreed. My father-in-law is a skydiver, and as part of his hobby, he does videography of skydives, selling the edited DVD to finance his jumps. He asked the same question of me back when he first started his little DVD gig and I gave him the same answer - there is no fool-proof format.

So, he bought both DVD-R and DVD+R media types and has since found better luck with DVD+R overall. But in the event one of his customers can't play the disc, he then reburns to DVD-R. Most of the time, having one of each does the trick. But some DVD players just don't play ball with certain types. Your mileage will vary.

Another trick is to slow down the burn. It seems that burned discs that are done at slower speeds (i.e. 2x instead of 8x or higher) seem to be more universally compatible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Only a professional pressing would be considered a guarantee. An expensive option for a few copies.

OP
JMDylan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz Macbook Alum.
Thanks for the info. I picked up some Sony DVD+R's and so far they have worked in all of the DVD players around the house.

Once again thanks for the info!

-Dylan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.