Hey Everyone :)

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Danny.
Got my new iMac on Sunday, never had one before and its amazing!
Just one question, is it possible to disable the startup sound, just that I sometimes need to go on it very late, or very early in the morning, and I dont want to wake anyone up!

Thanks everyone,
Danny

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There are some utilities to do just that, but the simple way is, when you shut down the machine, turn the volume all the way down. That should do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
OP
D
Reaction score
Ok thanks. A question about just putting it on sleep. Is it safe to just leave it on sleep all the time? or is it best to turn it off?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Hi Danny and welcome to Mac-Forums. Most of the Mac users here will tell you that just sleeping your machine is fine and the only time they ever reboot it is when they have to for a software upgrade or such. And I would be included in that group. You will find that it just a real joy to just touch the keyboard and boom your ready to go !

Enjoy your new machine and be sure to take some time to browse and search this forum. There is some great info and people hear to help.

Hope this helps
Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2005 G4 Mini & 2014 Mini & 2020 M1 Mini
Or, just make your iMac go to sleep and not turn it off.

I agree; I have a new mini 2 months old and I do not turn it off. My macbook hasn't been turned off in months. Apple put the on/off buttons in the back of these machines; so I figure they don't want you to turn it off.

Reaction score
I do turn mine off every couple of months. I'm not really sure why I do too, but I don't see a reason why I shouldn't either. A few seconds of start-up difference won't kill me anyway.

OP
D
Reaction score
oh ok cool. It just seems weird not turning it off haha. Thanks everyone

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.