Airport connection degrades, then fails

Reaction score
It sounds strange, but my G4 with airport suddenly lost the connection with the base station. I moved the base station closer and it started working again. Now it lost it completely, even with the base station next to the computer. I thought these things either worked or not. Can something slowly fail, and if so what? Totally confused, thanks, John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini late 09 version
Does any of this happen when an appliance is used ... example a microwave.

OP
B
Reaction score
No, the connection has been totally dead now for a month. Is it possible that the airport card just went south?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Is it possible that the airport card just went south?

Yes, and with the G4, it's quite possible. From personal experience, with my old Powerbook I had one of these die within a year of purchase. If you can get the machine to an Apple Store (or some other equivalent repair station) they should be able to tell you the issue.

Also, you can try using a different wireless router just as a test. Based on your description either your card or your basestation is failing (chances are pretty slim it's both) so now it's just a matter of eliminating one or the other.

OP
B
Reaction score
It turned out to be the airport card. I installed a new(used) one and it works fine. Thanks for all the advice, John

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.