Audio Compression/mixer NOT audio files

Reaction score
I posted this in the switcher section also but I know people perusing here would have a better idea of what I'm talking about.

I've got my mac-mini hooked up to my TV/stereo and the audio output is all over the place. For example, per the tv's volume scale, the P53 and wii are at about 20 for a comfortable listening volume. The mini is all over the place; itunes and dvds are in the 50's, streaming video anywhere from high 20's to 60's, and OS sounds are pretty obnoxious at any level. For the audio guys, we're talking a 15-20 db difference.

So, is there a an audio mixer a la XP that I'm just missing someplace? 3rd party stuff? A compressor/limiter? Better ideas?

Thanks guys
-Ds

Audio guy P.s.- I was thinking to put a dbx 166 inline but that wouldn't be more than a limiter, and just wouldn't sound good. Plus I'd have to get off my butt to have real volume control. Not gonna happen. I've got a fast track pro that I could use though I need it ocassionally for work and I can't think anything useful for concerning my problem. Any Ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Volume can sometimes be controlled on a per-app basis. iTunes and Quicktime have their own volume sliders for instance, the current setting over the system's overall volume control represents 100% on those sliders.

Reaction score
I posted this in the switcher section also but I know people perusing here would have a better idea of what I'm talking about.

I've got my mac-mini hooked up to my TV/stereo and the audio output is all over the place. For example, per the tv's volume scale, the P53 and wii are at about 20 for a comfortable listening volume. The mini is all over the place; itunes and dvds are in the 50's, streaming video anywhere from high 20's to 60's, and OS sounds are pretty obnoxious at any level. For the audio guys, we're talking a 15-20 db difference.

So, is there a an audio mixer a la XP that I'm just missing someplace? 3rd party stuff? A compressor/limiter? Better ideas?

Thanks guys
-Ds

Audio guy P.s.- I was thinking to put a dbx 166 inline but that wouldn't be more than a limiter, and just wouldn't sound good. Plus I'd have to get off my butt to have real volume control. Not gonna happen. I've got a fast track pro that I could use though I need it ocassionally for work and I can't think anything useful for concerning my problem. Any Ideas?

Other than your other sensible reply. I would say that a limiter would be my personal last resort. Limiters are dynamic devices (not that I don't think you probably know this) and affect the overall sound of the program material. Sometimes in an adverse way.

Best of luck

Rimmer

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.