Problems with external HD - FAT32 or NTFS?

Reaction score
Ok so here's the situation:

I have a 1TB external hard drive that I have partitioned into MAC OS and FAT32 sections. This is so that I can access the hard drive on my personal MacBook, and also on the PC's I use at the university that I attend.

Recently I was trying to export a documentary I've been working on in Adobe Premiere Pro on a PC when it kept saying that the Disk was Full. I looked into it a bit and found that with FAT32, you are unable to export anything beyond 4GB. I tried opening the Disk Utility on my MacBook to repartition my hard drive, but the only options available are various types of MAC OS partitions and then the FAT32 one that I originally used...there is no option for NTFS.

Does anybody know of any way that I can partition my hard drive to MAC OS and NTFS so that I can successfully use Adobe Premiere Pro?

Thanks a lot!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini late 09 version
I was looking into this last week ...

I tried Accronis True Image (Windows app) but could not do the Journaled partitions.

You could try partitioning using a linux distro (live cd) and use the disk one of the many disk partitioners available. Here is one ...
DistroWatch.com: Parted Magic

I solved my problem by saving files to my windows network.

You might look into getting a small NAS box and put your hdd in there. Format it in NTFS and you should be able to access it by network cable or wireless. You can access NTFS partitions on a Mac over a network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini late 09 version
I was just looking at the contents of the Parted Magic distro ... this one popped out at me.

The NTFS-3G driver is a freely and commercially available and supported read/write NTFS driver for Linux, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenSolaris, QNX, Haiku, and other operating systems. It provides safe and fast handling of the Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7 file systems.

More here ...
NTFS-3G: Stable Read/Write NTFS Driver

NOT for the faint hearted ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.