iphone taking forever to retrieve tect messages

Reaction score
first of i have an iphone 3G
i have unlimited text. so i know thats not the problem
but recently [today] my iphone has seemed to be having trouble recieving text messages, so i went onto itunes and did a sync and backup because one of my friends suggested that might be the problem, well it didnt fix the problem so i tried restarting my iphone, which fixed the problem for a few hours, then it started taking forever to retrieve my sms. [i tested with both my mom and brothers phones texting mine] it would take anywhere up to 20-30 minutes to recieve a message, and idk if i even got a few.
i really dont know whats wrong and i am quite illiterate to fixing these types of problems..any suggestions..
also my phone has seem to be lagging lately, and ive cleared the internet cache and history trying to fix it, but it didnt seem to do anything...:Angry:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
I'm sorry for your problem, but mine is worse. It takes almost a day for my ancient LG 225 to recieve some text messages.

Have you tried calling AT&T? (assuming you are in the US)
Also, what was the last thing you did to your phone before the delay happened for the first time? Like installing apps, jailbreaking, etc.?

OP
babyt
Reaction score
i really havent installed any apps lately and its not jailbroken.
it has been dropped and cracked the top of the screen a bit :'(
but that was a long while ago in july.
this has just started recently.
im really mad but ill see if at&t will or can do anything but i doubt it

Reaction score
the test you did with your brother and mothers phones, are they on the ATT network as well? are the people sending you txt on ATT also? T-Mobile has been having some issues with some parts of their network nation wide.

if you are still able to make and receive phone calls without any issues, and your txt are still coming in slow, chances are it could be the SMS server.

txt are sent via the overhead control channel, and that same channel is what is used the locate your phone and send and receive info about the network in general and what cell tower you are on and all that good stuff. so if the calls are going through ok, then your phone is talking to the network just fine and the trouble is elsewhere

OP
babyt
Reaction score
yeah my bro and mom are on a&t
i dont think its with every text either.
just at random times of the day i wont recieve a text.
phone calls are working fine, i have tested that out.!!

im for sure going into AT&T Wednesday, maybe it'll by lucky day :-D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Try to restore the phone without backing up from a previous backup file.

OP
babyt
Reaction score
Haven't tried a restore.
I'll have to try that when I get home. But how do I do it without using my previous backup file? (((I've never done a restore so I'm kinda iffy on what to do))?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Well I am guessing you have all your apps and music on your computer already in the first place. Restore will reset the whole phone and delete data.

Just plug it in and select restore from the window. After that is done it will ask you to set up the phone and you have the option of restoring from backup or start "a new phone". Start over and you should have a phone with default settings and no data.

Reaction score
first of i have an iphone 3G
i have unlimited text. so i know thats not the problem
but recently [today] my iphone has seemed to be having trouble recieving text messages, so i went onto itunes and did a sync and backup because one of my friends suggested that might be the problem, well it didnt fix the problem so i tried restarting my iphone, which fixed the problem for a few hours, then it started taking forever to retrieve my sms. [i tested with both my mom and brothers phones texting mine] it would take anywhere up to 20-30 minutes to recieve a message, and idk if i even got a few.
i really dont know whats wrong and i am quite illiterate to fixing these types of problems..any suggestions..
also my phone has seem to be lagging lately, and ive cleared the internet cache and history trying to fix it, but it didnt seem to do anything...:Angry:

Your iphone is not receiving text messages which is a very common problem faced by iphone users. So trying to use iTunes and backing up all your sms will also not be effective in this case. This problem occurs due to some sort of corruption in the iphone that could not be resolved by restarting the iphone. N such situations it is required to use third-party iphone backup sms tools. With the help of iPhone backup sms software you can easily backup all your iphone sms and also resolve the problem of text messages not being received to your iphone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.