Solution for MaC/BootCamp/PC/Parallels on external Hard drive

Reaction score
I am going to do my best to explain the exact solutions I am looking for. If anyone can help me with this or lead me in the correct direction I would appreciate it.

Computer
MacBook Pro
w/ 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo
w/ 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
w/ Serial-ATA 1.5 Gigabit 100.03 Gigabit HDD
w/ Mac OS X 10.6.1 Snow Leopard

External Hard Drive
LaCie Rugged Hard Disk
w/ FireWire 800, FireWire 400 & Hi-Speed USB 2.0
250GB

I love my mac and now live life by the ole saying "once you go Mac you'll never go back. I am wanting to create a bootcamp partition on my MacBook Pro to run windows natively. I am then wanting to duplicate an exact copy of what is on my bootcamp windows partition (files/programs/OS etc.). I am looking to not only back up my bootcamp partition to the external hard drive, but also make this duplicate copy bootable by Mac and a PC, or another PC running Windows. I have carbon copy cloner and currently use it to back up my mac to the external hard drive. Is there a way to format my external hard drive NTFS. I have previously created a bootcamp partition that I use natively from boot up, and also have it configured to run in Parallels 5.0 if I need to accesses certain files from my mac while running OS X. I am basically wanting to figure out some way to copy my bootcamp winxp to an external hard drive in NTFS format which would allow another windows computer to boot from the external hard drive with my docs, apps, etc. Want to make a bootable backup not only for my mac & bootcamp, but also for another PC. Is this possible.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Aside from using it in a virtual machine, Windows can not be installed on a USB or Firewire external. This is a limitation of Windows, not of Boot Camp. Regardless, you can't port that Windows install from machine to machine, because the drivers would differ so widely - not to mention the licensing implications (i.e. Windows is licensed to be installed on one PC and not ported between multiple machines).

Your best bet would be to set up a file share on one or both machines to easily access files on the one machine, while using the other.

OP
N
Reaction score
If i can hack the install disk, is it possible too do this? divers can be saved on a separate partition and installed on the fly... A "File Share" will not allow me to have an AutoCad Land Desktop program I can use via another CPU. You see I travel to very remote places and perform very technical work in the field. Sometimes I am very leery of taking my computer out in the field because of the environment I will be in. I rather take a external hard drive out in the field and use PC computers that are supplied in the field. If I use a field computer it takes about 8 hours of line, color, symbol, and plotter setup before or after rendering. Trying to save time because I am paid by the job not by the hour.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Not that I know of. Another thing to consider, might be something like "GoToMyPC", although I'm not sure if you'll have broadband access or if it would be fast enough for an application like AutoCAD. With that said, you're also going to have problems with the product activation protection mechanisms that tie both Windows and AutoCAD to the hardware platform they were initially installed on.

Honestly, given your situation, I'm not sure what I'd recommend.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thank You, for your input... I guess this still leaves me at step one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.