MobileMe vs. Gmail for iPhone

Reaction score
I have had a MobileMe account for approximately 2 years, and I'm beginning to become frustrated with certain things (i.e. not syncing calendars or email folders).

What do the majority of you guys use for email and calendars, MobileMe or GMail? Which do you prefer and why?

For those of you that use Gmail for calendars, how do it work with the iPhone? Is it a webmail format that you have to log into from your browser, or can it be set up on the iPhone to sync directly to it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I use both for email. I like that MobileMe will push email to my phone. I know I can use fetch for Gmail, but it drains the battery, and I'm not interested in using other complicated means to push my Gmail. I don't really use calendars on either, so I can't comment on that.

Recently I had my iPhone replaced due to a cracked screen. Now, I thought that simply setting up my MobileMe account on my phone would get all of my contacts back because it pushes the info down to my phone from "the cloud", but it wouldn't work! I set it up in settings to do it, but nothing. All I could get to sync down was email And I had to wait until I got home to get my contacts back. Isn't MobileMe supposed to push my contacts, calendars, etc to my iPhone without syncing on my computer???

OP
S
Reaction score
I use both for email. I like that MobileMe will push email to my phone. I know I can use fetch for Gmail, but it drains the battery, and I'm not interested in using other complicated means to push my Gmail. I don't really use calendars on either, so I can't comment on that.

Recently I had my iPhone replaced due to a cracked screen. Now, I thought that simply setting up my MobileMe account on my phone would get all of my contacts back because it pushes the info down to my phone from "the cloud", but it wouldn't work! I set it up in settings to do it, but nothing. All I could get to sync down was email And I had to wait until I got home to get my contacts back. Isn't MobileMe supposed to push my contacts, calendars, etc to my iPhone without syncing on my computer???

Yeah it is supposed to, but I have also noticed problems with my iMac not receiving information from the cloud, especially from my calendar, and I can't figure out how to fix it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
have any of you talked to apple about these problems? or do you think it is something out of there knowledge?

Reaction score
i just use my outlook calendar and when i sync my phone it updates the calendar.

i just use the standard email features of the iPhone to manually retrieve my emails from my own domain and from my Gmail. i have not used the Gmail app for iphone so not sure how that works

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.