Pen drive will not erase

Reaction score
I just bought a little 8gb pen drive as I am formatting my computer and need to secure my work . It copied some of the data, but then half way through it started to hang up and it failed the transfer. so i tried to copy them one by one, but each time the transfer would hang up and not work.

The data I am transferring is audio, WAV

then i deleted the files that were on the drive, but the data was still some how on the disc, maybe it has kept a ghost copy of the data there, like deleted files that stay on there.

<s>So i opened up disk utility to format the drive, but this also failed, it said this:

secure erase free space failed: error: could not create temp file</s>

actually i just worked out what i did wrong....

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's amazing how just typing out the question sometimes gets the old noggin to restart. Do it myself. :Blushing:

How about sharing, what it was though. You won't be the only one that does it.

OP
L
Reaction score
actually i'm having the same problem again, basicaly I'm trying to copy some more data on the pen drive, but i get this message:

'the operation cannot be completed because you to not have sufficient privileges for some of the items'

But I am the administrator (there is only one account) and the files are not locked!

can't figure this out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Can we have a description of "some of the items" that cannot be transferred? Not that we wish to pry, but knowing what they are might provide a solution to the issue.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It appears that you have privilege issues. If you right click a file that you are having issues with and click on "Get Info", what does it say under "Sharing and Permissions"?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.