Change web site title for google results

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP - 24" white iMac - 16gb white iphone3G - 20gb iPod colour
I've just noticed that when searching on google for my site instead of my web site title it only says "welcome' then a description of the site below. How do i go about changing this? It seem to be fine afew months back but not sure if i've change anything? I'm using iweb and mobileme to host it plus my own domain name. Once on the site the title appears at the top[ of the browser but not in googles results.

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Site link?

iWeb uses the page name as the pages title and that is what Google is properly indexing. Inside the file that represents that welcome page is this; <title>Welcome</title>. Keep in mind that the Google results could be stale. I'm not sure how often they rescan pages.

If dynamically changing the title is possible, you would need to be using a service (not mobileme) where you could rig results when Google calls. This might be something that could be done within Apache, or perhaps via a script.

Reaction score
It could be a Mobileme thing if thats what you are using? Not sure if thats the reason why being I don't use it.

Also, when you name your pages, you can add the name of your site then put in welcome or whatever after words.

Could also use metatags & insert them manually...

Hopefully that helped some!

OP
ferritt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP - 24" white iMac - 16gb white iphone3G - 20gb iPod colour
It only seem to be when in the google search results page. Once you click on the welcome link and the site is loaded the site title appears at the top of the browser. It's just strange how this has only just happened. Maybe google has not updated recently so it may still show welcome instead of the original page title.

cheers

Reaction score
I'm not sure you can get to it using Mobile me? (I Dont use it)

If not, then you can use a free FTP client to access the pages & if for some reason that does not work, you could always try YummyFTP as an FTP client. Its really cheap & has worked great for me.

Also, but not sure. After saving your site in iWeb, it saves to a folder where you can also access your HTML & add it in there before you upload it to your host. Maybe? Never tried it, but dont see why it wouldn't work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.