Boot Camp x64 doesn't like my Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
I have a Mac Pro which is maybe 18 months old or so. Xeon CPU, dual core, 4GB of ram. Great computer. I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on it and it runs fine. But when I stick the Snow Leopard install disc in while booted up into Windows to install drivers for the Apple hardware, it tells me that I can't do it on my specific model. What about my model would prevent Boot Camp drivers from working?

I would really like to be able to eject the disc drives, but that is very tough since Apple does not allow physical eject buttons on their computers. Instead I have to go in, right-click on the drive and select EJECT.

OP
Joe Redifer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have not updated my firmware because many users said that doing so caused the fans to be really loud and have erratic behavior. My fans are perfectly quiet and I don't want to mess with that.

However I found this link which says my computer is not compatible, but does not offer an explanation why. Windows 7 runs fine, so I don't understand why the Boot Camp drivers can't unless Apple's programmers just haven't been able to figure out Windows 7 yet, and it doesn't sound like they'll bother.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
However I found this link which says my computer is not compatible, but does not offer an explanation why. Windows 7 runs fine, so I don't understand why the Boot Camp drivers can't unless Apple's programmers just haven't been able to figure out Windows 7 yet, and it doesn't sound like they'll bother.

That statement is a bit premature don't you think? Since Apple will not be officially supporting Windows 7 until December, for now the drivers which are on the latest disk update (Snow Leopard, Boot Camp 3.0) only support XP and Vista X32, Vista X64.

However, many of us (myself included) are running Win 7 without problems using the Boot Camp 3.0 drivers.

Regards.

OP
Joe Redifer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think it is premature at all, especially when Apple themselves have said that they absolutely will not support my model.

About Boot Camp and Windows 7

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.