turn off internet connection?

Reaction score
Hi everybody. Please help me remember that ignorance and stupidity are not synonymous. I prefer to call myself the former.
Can anyone tell me how to turn off my internet connection while leaving Pro Tools running? I have an old PC that I use to connect when I need to - I'm trying to avoid inadvertently downloading malware, spyware, etc etc.
We get online via a several-year-old linksys wireless router and westell DSL modem. At someone's suggestion I shut off "Airport" - but no luck. I'm still able to post this, for example. How do I block incoming traffic?
Thanks,
Rudi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You don't have to be worried about malware or spyware on a Mac since those things can't infect Macs. Even if they could, you couldn't get infected without actively browsing the Internet and going to unsafe sites.

If you really need to turn off the Internet, I would suggest either pulling out the Ethernet cable or just turn off the router.

OP
D
Reaction score
and one follow-up: I think the % of people using Macs is increasing; the ratio of Mac:pC users. Do you think this will eventually bring malware, etc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
At someone's suggestion I shut off "Airport" - but no luck. I'm still able to post this,

How did you shut off airport?

Reaction score
Your router probably lets you control access on a computer-by-computer basis. I use this method to allow my MBP internet access while blocking my PC from internet access. Log on to your router and look for a section called "Access Restrictions" or something close to that. On the Linksys router, once you've set it up to control access to a computer, you can easily switch access on/off with one click. I'd suggest using the computer's MAC address rather than the computer's IP.

The advantage of this method is that your computer can still access your local network: printers, storage, other computers etc while still shutting off internet access.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.