Concerns about switching

Reaction score
Hey not long here. Im considering getting a Macbook Pro but one of the concerns i have is moving my files from my desktop to the Mac (i cant connect the 2 together with a cable)

Ive seen conflicting statements from different sites etc about External Hard drives. I have a 250gb External hard drive (well it was my dads but he got a 1TB HD so yeah i got stuck with the left overs lol) and ive seen people say that a external HD can be used between the 2 computers but then ive seen others say that a External hard Drive cant be used for both Windows and Mac OSX. Can someone clarify exactly how i could move files between the 2. This is something that holds me back from getting a Macbook. So any help pwease! :D

Thank You :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Just use FAT32 and you should be all set. The Mac can also use NTFS with some additional software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Depending on what u are wanting to do this Cable may help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
Depending on what u are wanting to do this Cable may help.

Nifty little device, but $50 that doesn't need to be spent. Your external HD you have will work fine. First put all of the files you want onto your external, then download this on your Mac. Once you have it installed, plug your external HD into your Mac and when you see it pop up on the desktop, right click the ntfsMounter icon in the top toolbar and your external should be listed there (whatever you have it named). Click it and enter your password. After you enter your password, you will then be able to open the HD and get the files seamlessly off of your external onto your Mac. Good luck.

Screen shot 2009-11-07 at 12.42.42 AM.jpg

OP
D
Reaction score
Nifty little device, but $50 that doesn't need to be spent. Your external HD you have will work fine. First put all of the files you want onto your external, then download this on your Mac. Once you have it installed, plug your external HD into your Mac and when you see it pop up on the desktop, right click the ntfsMounter icon in the top toolbar and your external should be listed there (whatever you have it named). Click it and enter your password. After you enter your password, you will then be able to open the HD and get the files seamlessly off of your external onto your Mac. Good luck.

Ah so i can just do it with requiring formatting or anything?

Thanks very much :)

Reaction score
For myself, I still use my desktop for big projects (I am a teacher, and also a student). I find doing large papers on the laptop is just uncomfortable after a while, so I sometimes do them on the PC desktop for comfort. Any files I saw necessary to move to the Mac, I just put them on a flash drive and loaded them on (Word files work fine with Pages, and for the most part, my simple PowerPoint files have opened well with Keynote). The only program I use on both is iTunes. To move those files over I just used the external hard drive and dragged the music files into iTunes on the laptop and I was good to go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.