Deleted usr folder :o(

Reaction score
Today at work I did a really stupid thing and deleted my usr folder from my Hard Drive. I don't know what happened but it just suddenly appeared and I knew it was an odd file that shouldn't be there so I thought it was junk and I trashed it. Now I can't reboot...I just get the spinning circle at the grey apple start up screen. I tried to reboot from the install disc by holding down the 'C' key but now I get a kernal panic and loads of words on the screen...how can I even begin to re-install my system when it doesn't get past the kernal panic??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
a kernel panic off the CD? That doesn't speak of an OS issue... Try resetting your pram, then booting off of the CD.. perhaps you'll get farther that way

OP
S
Reaction score
Can you believe I was attempting installation from a install disc for a different machine...hence the kernal panic when I tried to boot from it! I'm such an idiot! Lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes can believe it as it happens frequently on the forums. It ain't that hard to do when you have a number of operating system discs laying about.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.