I can not update OS X

Reaction score
I tried to update my OS and I got a box asking my for my password. I then typed it in and I know that it is the right password as I have done it before and it would not accept it.

I then tried putting in the first disk for the OS and followed the instructions to hold down the C key as the computer starts up. All it does is spit out the disk.

I have a new disk on the way to see it this will help but thought maybe there is someone out there who may have experience the same problem and have some other suggestions.

I know for sure the password is right, I have cleaned the disk and it has only been used twice so there does not appear to be any scratches on it.

I am afraid to try and format the machine because if the disk 1 will not work then I will not be able to get very far.

Next time I will not be choosing any password as they are a pain in the you know what. Nothing but trouble.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This might be a stupid question but are you sure you didn't have caps lock on? Passwords are case-sensitive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Check for a space before the typed in password.
Check number 0 versus letter o

Clean disk with damp microfibre cloth and polish with dry one. I had to polish up the SL disk before it would work..

OP
C
Reaction score
That is not where the problem is. I do not have any 0 or
o in the password.

I also cleaned the disk but will give it one more try.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.