Network attached storage... hooked up to an eMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Just a quick thought here, guys, but I'm wondering if I can plug in an external drive to my eMac and access it over the network to us as NAS without having to buy a router that will let me plug it in. I assume I can, I just don't know how to go about doing it. I could easily google it, but if you guys want to save me some time while I'm cleaning in preparation for my fiancee's parents' arrival tomorrow, feel free to let me know how to do it! eMac is running Leopard, macbook is running Snow Leopard.

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I googled and can't find anything... anyone want to help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
let me make sure I follow what you want...

You don't have a physical network, so no routers or switches, and you need a network accessible NAS? What do you have for a current environment?

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I do have a network. I just don't have a drive that I can attach to it physically, and the drive isn't wireless enabled. I have my MacBook and an eMac in a network for the apartment. I can access the eMac over our network. I want to be able to attach my 500GB MyBook (WD) via one of the USB ports and be able to drop data on it from my MacBook over the network.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.