adding wireless to imac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Is it possible to add a wireless card on a new imac and do it onsite at my location instead of packing it up and taking it to a shop over an hour away?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If your iMac is new it already has a wireless airport card. Is this a new iMac you're referring to or an older one you just purchased? If it's an older one, tell us the model\year.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
the imac was purchased new but it did not come with a wireless card. it is a big mess. i ordered a new imac from a computer store and about a week later, i got a call from them telling me it had been delivered and was ready for me to pick it up. the store was about an hour from my home. i was about 10 minutes away from the store when they called and told me that mine had not been delivered but since i was on my way, they would give me another one that had more memory on it. after setting it up, i looked for a wireless connection and found none so i called the store and they informed me this one did not have a wireless card and that they could not install a wireless card onsite at my business and that they need me to bring it to them so they can install it at their store. they assured me this computer was the new system and not the old. i called apple to verify this system as being the new imac and they told me it was the new but i forgot at that time to ask about the wireless.

so, i will ask again....can a wireless card be installed on a new imac onsite at my home?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
so, i will ask again....can a wireless card be installed on a new imac onsite at my home?

This is awfully strange...all new iMacs come with Airport already installed...not like the "older days" when it was optional.

But I guess if you don't have it...you don't have it.

What do you mean by..."install onsite at your home"?

- installed by a Apple technician in your home?
- or you purchase the part & install it yourself at home?

By the way...if your iMac did not come with an Airport/bluetooth combo card...they can be pretty expensive (plus the cost of having it installed if you can't do it yourself).

This combo card is most likely more expensive that the extra ram you probably got. I sure hope that you got a discount.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
can't anyone give me a clear answer without all the bs? can it be installed? yes or no? Let's say it is a new one. i am not at the office where it is. let's say the wireless card is corrupt...can it be replaced onsite at my business?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No. Take it back to Apple as it is under warranty.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
this place is a joke.

All you had to do was answer my questions above...and then we would have gotten somewhere!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Guess we are having our whatsits pulled.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree harry. No new iMac is shipped without a wireless card. If he really did buy one that didn't have a card in it, it was probably removed by the store who sold it to him. In other words, that machine was cannibalized. If I were him, I would return the machine and ask for a refund - if what he says is true.

Regards.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The people here tried to help and you both insulted them and our forums. You will be better off finding another forums where you will be more happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.