can mac the ripper or ripit cause my system to lockup?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
I have a macbook pro that I just installed snow leopard onto... I normally use a windows machine for ripping dvds but figured I would try a mac solution... now some rips have worked fine, but at least 2 times during the past week since I started the macbook locks up completely and I have to remove the batter to turn it off and restart.

The only other software I've had running when it happened was Safari while the rip was going on in the background... is this something that would be caused by the ripping software or does it sound like a hardware issue? Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
any app can hang... especially one that's using considerable processor power. I really haven't seen a complete system hang like that though.. at least not one that holding the power button down and shutting off won't break.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
any app can hang... especially one that's using considerable processor power. I really haven't seen a complete system hang like that though.. at least not one that holding the power button down and shutting off won't break.

I know apps can hang. I've had an old polycarb macbook that would hang on various apps all the time. This isn't just the app hanging, when it happens the mouse no longer moves or anything so you can't even go to force the app to quit.... first I thought it might be temp related so I installed a app to watch the temps yet it did it once again when the hottest temp was 50C which ruled out the temps being a problem.. I didn't think a app to rip dvds was that processor intensive.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I didn't think a app to rip dvds was that processor intensive.
They are very CPU intensive.

What kind of specs does your MBP have? How are you ripping and what settings are you using? What are you trying to rip?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.