External Hard drive connection problem

Reaction score
I have a Toshiba 250GB HD that I was using for pics of the family and such. It is formatted in FAT32. I can hook it up to my PC with no problem, but when I hook it to my iMac, it doesn't show up. The light on the external comes on, but it isn't there. What could be causing this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you sure the external Toshiba HD is formatted to FAT-32? Normally a drive that size comes pre-formatted to NTFS. Your PC would mount the drive OK, but your Mac would not.

Also, some USB drives require more power to mount than others. Make sure you're using a USB port on the iMac and not one on the keyboard.

Hook up the drive again to your iMac and open Disk Utility from Applications, Utilities. Can you "see" the drive? If so, what does it say about format?

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Hmm, even if it was formatted with NTFS it'd still show up as OS X can read NTFS volumes.

As suggested, re-connect it and open up Disk Utility to see if it is listed there. Make sure it's plugged directly into the iMac too.

OP
D
Reaction score
I have it at work with me. I hooked it up to my PC and went to properties. It says FAT32.

On my iMac, I am using the port on the back of the monitor.
It worked just fine last week. I did install MacFUSE and ntfs-3g on my iMac for my other external drive that is formatted with NTFS.
I don't understand why it won't find it now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.