Kingston Laptop RAM ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Just wondering if anybody here has installed and is currently using Kingston brand memory for their MacBook or MacBook Pro's ? I have the latest 13" Unibody MBP and 2 gigs of RAM just isn't cutting it for my work with PS and Lightroom.

I'm living in Hungary right now, so I don't have access to Newegg or any place like that. I found a couple of online places here, but can't speak to their reputation (cs). In any case, I came across a 4 gig module for around $160 USD and it's made by ... Kingston, of course:

Kingston SO-DIMM HyperX 4GB PC3-1066 DDR3 Kit (KHX8500S3ULK2/4G) - Memória

Seems a very good price for one 4 gig stick of RAM, so I want to know what people think ?

Thanks,

doug

Edit: Thanks to my terrible Hungarian reading skills, I just learned that this is in fact two modules, not one. Meh. But still curious to know what people think of Kingston.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Waste of money since there is no BIOS on a Mac to make it use the lower latency. Better off just getting Crucial or whatever brand for 87 bucks or whatever it is now.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Looks OK to me. Nothing wrong with Kingston memory and the price is not all that bad considering you're living outside of the US. Just make sure if you purchase the two modules that you can return them if they don't work out.

No Apple stores or resellers in Hungary?

Regards.

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Looks OK to me. Nothing wrong with Kingston memory and the price is not all that bad considering you're living outside of the US. Just make sure if you purchase the two modules that you can return them if they don't work out.

No Apple stores or resellers in Hungary?

Regards.

No official "stores", but there are resellers here and there. I was actually one at a mall the other day, and the people who worked there were either @zzholes, liars or extremely stupid. I asked the guys there if they knew of a place to buy RAM, aside from the ONE kind that they sell through their own website.

The first guys says "I'm sorry this is not possible" What ? Not possible to tell me, or not possible to buy RAM in this god forsaken country ? Then I tried again to explain that I need a good website which sold computer parts as such, and again, this fruitcake insists that it's not possible.

I went over to the other guy behind the counter, blatantly ignoring the other idj't who says.. yes of course it's possible. But then, he would only tell me of the one RAM module that HIS stupid Apple store was selling. And after that, no other information !

Come on man, you work in an Apple store. You obviously have some kind of inkling as to what is what in the computer world over there, and you insult me like that ? I wanted to punch the guy, seriously.

I found some other places online finally, through a really nice guy who works in a little nothing computer shop in a very small town 2 hours outside Budapest. The sites are ok, but prices are steeper than in the States. I think I'm going to ask a family member to just send me a care package with some RAM in it.

If I'm lucky I'll get it before Christmas. If not... Good luck to me !

BTW, thanks for that Crimson. I had almost forgotten that. So then, what is the standard cas latency values which match up with a unibody MBP ? Also, do they take ones with 1333 MHz ?

Doug

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
It probably can but it's going to have to downclock the RAM and that's no fun.

Just get something with CAS 7 as that seems to be the norm. 8 and 9 are kind of older DDR3 modules.

List here. I would go with the first one.

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool beans. Thanks a lot man...

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.