Connecting the ipod?

S

Sipherx

Hi I just ordered my iPod on ebay, and I had a question about how the docking station worked. Does the docking station have a cable that connects up to the firewire I/O port on my computer? Thats pretty much all I needed to know, also I am thinking of using the X-Play software instead of music match.. I have heard its much easier because you can just drag and drop the media files onto the ipod's hardrive...

And one more question on music sorting.. Can I create directories for each artist in the artist section? Like say I want to have Metallica,Sublime,Blink 182 ect... Like will it show each individual artist that way I can select what I want to listen to by the artist? Thanks alot guys.. and wish me luck on my new investment.. I have been wanting one for a while and I couldnt stand it anymore! lol Anyway thanks alot for any help you can give me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
your first question is correct the way you said it the dock just plugs into your firewire port and a stereo jack into what ever sort of you system you want to play it through

i dont know about xplay i havent heard of anyone who uses it

When you rip your cds to your pc to go to your iPod it automatically gets the disc info and puts artist album etc info into it

OP
S

Sipherx

alright thanks! I'm glad I didnt get flamed for asking basic questions.. But what I was really wondering about was like does the ipod automatically sort out mp3s by id3 tags? Also does it make a seperate directory for each artist, I dont know much about how the ipod displays the tracks in the artist directory, I just wanted to know if it shows each individual artist on the display.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
there is no flaming on these boards and its not just because its against the rules but mac users are friendly

the iPod sorts by id3 tags into artists, albums, genres

each individual artist has its own section and when you click the artist it will bring you to each of the artists albums

OP
S

Sipherx

Thanks so much! I cant wait to get mine soon.. I have heard the best thing about the ipod is the User Interface, so I cant wait to check it out!

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it is great. i have been using a 5 gb 1st gen since it came out and ordered a 10gb 3rd gen on saturday which im hoping will ship soon. they are great devices that i wouldnt want to live without

You might want to check out

www.iPodlounge.com

lotta good info on there

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Plus I would just wait until you get your iPod then play with it to learn how to use it :) You'll love it.. then if you have any questions.. we're here!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
good point murlyn i knew i was forgettin something

OP
A

AustinTAtious

For what it's worth, from what I can tell, music is stored ON the iPod in alphabetical order, based upon when the iPod was synched. Only a certian amount of space is allocated for each folder (numerically named) and when that folder is full, another is created. Now, I'm referring to physical storage.

In terms of organization, the iPod organizes your MP3s based on the IDT tags, as people have mentioned. You can browse by song, by artist, or by album, or by playlist, which it will also synchronize with your computer. Finding the exact song you want is *simple*. That is where the iPod prevails (and most of Apple) -- form and function. I love my iPod =)

I wonder if the odd physcial storage scheme used isn't just to deter file sharing...

Oh, and I'm actually a PC user, not a Mac user (although I do have a G4 at work that I develop on), so YMMV.

Jonathan

OP
S

Sipherx

Thanks alot guys.. I will let you know if I need any help whenever I get it.!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.