Itunes frustration

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7
Their are some things about how Itunes works that frustrate me, and Im curious if any of you have an explanation or way around it.

My wife and I have seperate logins, however she cant listen to music unless I leave Itunes open and switch over to her username, why? Is their a way she can access the library instead of the "shared" music?

My other question is this, My brother in law inherited our 500mhz G3 imac and is in the "learning" process pretty heavily, he decided it would be smart (after I warned him if he didnt know what something was to leave it alone and ask me first, in which case I would tell him or get the answer for him if I didnt know) to go through and remove some of our old files that they didnt need or want, and in the process he deleted their access to their music library, after countless hours of pulling it off of his cd's and into Itunes. The music is still their, but it doesnt show up in itunes, any ideas? I told him their was probably a simple file that linked the music in that folder to itunes, if their is and he deleted it, what steps does he need to take to fix it?

thanks all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
ok, in the finder window go to mac hd>users>shared. make an iTunes folder there. move all of your music to that folder. set iTunes to use that folder for music. to do this go to preferences by pressing command+comma. then go to advanced and change the directory to the folder created. if you have the hard drive space, you can open all of your music from where it is and iTunes will organize it for you in the folder you created. i am still at a loss on how to just import music to itunes without having to open the file. anyhow, on your wifes profile, set her iTunes library to that folder and then import the music.

PS This will erase all of your stats like top 25 and recently played etc. i hope this helps.

OP
Icicle
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7
So, if its in there, she can access it without my user being logged on, and without having two copies of it on the HDD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes, that is correct

what do you mean by erased access to the files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if he still has access to the files then, he should be able to add to library, command+o, and add the music back. he probably deleted the iTunes Music Library

OP
Icicle
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I havent been over there to look, but IM sure thats what he did....Ill take your advice and cal him and try to walk him through it, thanks for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.