New 27" iMac Humming Issue.. Anyone Else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 4G Ram| iPhone 3G 8Gb
I don't know how to explain it, all I know is my new iMac is loud. Maybe they have bigger fans and that is the cause of my noise?

It doesnt sound like a fan though, but it doesnt sound like a HDD either..

It's just humming lol - then when I switch it off / sleep it goes away.

It's a very noticeable sound..

Anyone else with this issue?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Put your ear close to the LCD screen. Is the humming coming from there? I know that the new 27" is backlighted with LEDs but even they can emit noise especially when there are so many of them. Other than the screen itself, the humming may be from the fans.

Regards.

OP
bennjiboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm, I will have a look/listen when I get home! :)

OP
bennjiboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So the LED does hum a little.. That's one problem solved.

Would you have any suggestions for my speakers humming? They buzz, sounds like an electrical current going through them..

I am a DJ and no longer mix so I'm using my monitor speakers as desktop speakers lol

They have RCA and 1/4" TRS connections.. I am using RCA->3.5 so it's unbalanced - If I use TRS it will be balanced but I dont think that will solve my problem..

I went out a few weeks ago and brought a cheap cheap USB sound card and tried an isolation test - the hum was lowered say, 75% but the sound quality was really poor.

Should I just invest in say a firewire sound card that is just TRS-> TRS?

I did read somewhere that there were some know issues with iMac inverters and that my problem might be related but I dont know.. I had the same issue with my previous iMac but the humming was 50% as loud as it is now.

I realize the problem is following me from iMac to iMac but I know 100% it's not my speakers. I have tried multiple RCA->3.5 cables and thats not a problem either..

Next step was a Belkin Surge Board to see if maybe that would solve my problem but I'd love some advice before I go spend a few hundred dollars lol

:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.