Startup grey screen w/ two buttons

Reaction score
trying to get an older machine that i got from a friend to work. apparently it has no os on the hd, so i booted up with panther in the cd drive and hold the option key. after which....

a grey screen appears with two buttons on it. an arrow pointing to the right, and an arrow making a circular shape. clicking on either button does nothing.

anyone have any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
You can't just plonk any Apple disc in any Mac.... Is the Panther disc the disc that came with that machine?

OP
M
Reaction score
no...i have no idea what the machine's original os was either. it's a pretty old powermac g4, couldn't figure out exactly which one it was, but all it's internals are pre-millenium...so that old.

any ideas which os would be the right one? and also what the two buttons are supposed to be?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Without a screen shot... is just too hard to know.
Also, without machine specs, is once a again, hard to tell you what os you need to get it working! Either way, it has to be a retail version which is not machine specific, unless it is the original disc that came with that machine.

OP
M
Reaction score
alright 6string. so i'm leaning towards the powermac g4 AGP graphics...however...the family number (M5183) didn't show up on the list in the link....so i googled that. and i have found out that the family number belongs to the powermac g3 series...pretty strange, coz it says power macintosh g4 on the back of the machine.

it's got a
xpc7400 rx400ph processor
512mb pc100 RAM
rage 128 pro graphics

i'ma go check see the g3 list so i can figure out wassup with this machine.

OP
M
Reaction score
aaaaaaa....so i been cruising around tryna figure this **** out... i'm hella confused. i been gettin pointed around all over hte place. the specs tellin me it's a PM G4 AGP but family number M5183 is throwing me off...i guess i'ma be spendin some more time surfin looking for answers.
yeah but thanks for your patience dude...pushed me along a bit...i think this baby might need an age old os on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm thinking that what you are describing on the grey screen is a refresh button and I think a select boot volume arrow...
If your HD hasn't failed, you will need original install discs or Panther retail cds (4x)
M5183 covers G3's and early G4's

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.