G4 won't start

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4, model M8493
I have a Powermac G4, 733MHz running 10.4.11. After disconnecting the power lead, and then later on reconnecting it, it refuses to start. If left for about 15mins or more with the power plugged in, it eventually tries to start, but usually gives up after 30 secs or so. Just occasionally it will run, but less and less frequently now.

The hard drive is fine; I have put it into someone else's Powermac and it boots up with no problem.

I have pressed the button near the battery on the motherboard (PRAM reset?); no difference.

I have checked that the power supply provides 25V and 5V before powering up; the button on the front panel lights up when pressed.

Hopefully someone out there has come across this problem. Having to wait 15mins after plugging in the powercord, before the machine will do anything, seems really strange.

Reaction score
Ouch. I have a Power Mac G4 "Sawtooth", but I've noted no problems with the power supply. (And mine is slower than yours! Glad there's another Power Mac G4 user here).

It's been a common problem with the power supplies on Power Mac's, mainly from the G3 and G4 era's. Take it to the Apple Store nearest you, maybe they will come up with a solution.

Reaction score
I have a Powermac G4, 733MHz running 10.4.11. After disconnecting the power lead, and then later on reconnecting it, it refuses to start. If left for about 15mins or more with the power plugged in, it eventually tries to start, but usually gives up after 30 secs or so. Just occasionally it will run, but less and less frequently now.

The hard drive is fine; I have put it into someone else's Powermac and it boots up with no problem.

I have pressed the button near the battery on the motherboard (PRAM reset?); no difference.

I have checked that the power supply provides 25V and 5V before powering up; the button on the front panel lights up when pressed.

Hopefully someone out there has come across this problem. Having to wait 15mins after plugging in the powercord, before the machine will do anything, seems really strange.

Before we go looking for a PS, change the power cord. Is your power strip working 100%. Check that the connectors in the machine are tight. I would look on eBay for a PS although its may be cheaper to buy a whole new G4 like $65.00.

Aha...This may be it. Check your part numbers as Quicksilver PS are different fron earier G4's.
Apple Mac G4 DELTA DPS-200PB-110 POWER SUPPLY 614-0108 - eBay (item 380149290306 end time Nov-12-09 11:28:56 PST)

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4, model M8493
Thanks, guys; I'll focus on the PS, and check the PS number.

As it happens I did change the power cord when I moved the machine to investigate, but I'll also check the socket. It would be nice if that solved the problem!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.