MBP 13" and built in camera + Skype

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 12 MBP 8gb ram, Crucial M4 SSD 512gb, Sandy Bridge i7
I downloaded Skype, but I cannot for the life of me get the video to work because the camera is not on. If I get the camera on using IMovie, Skype does not recognize it. What might I be doing wrong? I had no such problem with Skype on windows using a built in camera.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
Don't mean to make stupid suggestions, but have you tried going to the Skype preferences and selecting the camera?

Reaction score
Hmmm I don't recall having to do anything in order for the camera to work. I do know that is can temperamental with poor internet connectivity. Sometimes I have to restart Skype to make things work properly. You may have to re-istall Skype

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
You can't use the camera in skype if you have an open program that is using the camera (ie imovie) Close all programs that are using the camera, and then open skype. Make a phone call with somebody. Click on the video button on the top tool bar, and they will be asked if its ok that you show them your camera... Until they hit accept, you will not see any video, and your camera will remain off.

Hope that helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.