Frozen on desktop, no dock, no access to anything, just spinning wheel

Reaction score
Hi, I really need some help!

The other day I went to restart my Macbook. It wouldn't so I had to force it via the off button. Now it boots but is stuck at desktop. I can't do ANYTHING but just look at the desktop background (which loads) and the spinning cursor. I reset PRAM and booted in Safe Mode but the same thing happens, it's just stuck on the desktop with no dock, no nothing but the spinning cursor. My disc drive is broken so can't do a reinstall right now and not sure if I could use an external disc drive.

Can anyone help or give me some suggestions? Thank you in advance!

Reaction score
Try starting it up in verbose mode... that way you'll be able to follow actions step by step

OP
S
Reaction score
Have done so but I'm not that techy (sorry, I know that's the bane of forums) so I don't really understand what it means.

OP
S
Reaction score
Started in Single User Mode, am using the fsck command, will this help do you think?

OP
S
Reaction score
Hmm, says my volume seems to be okay but didn't reboot, I had to hold the button down again.

Reaction score
I think a reinstall of your OS might be prudent at this point, unless someone tells you otherwise...

Remember if you do so to back up your important files, just don't back up your entire system, or you'll have the same issues:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 8Gb Ram 1TB Fusion HD + MBP
Are you using a USB hub? If so, try disconnecting it. I have a similar problem with my Mac Pro. When I disconnect the USB hub--no problem. I can re-connect the hub after it starts.

Reaction score
^^^Yup.

If you have anything plugged into USB, booting can be interrupted. My MBP refuses to boot with a USB wireless headphone receiver plugged in. If your USB or other bus ports are unoccupied, hopefully there will be an easier fix mentioned than a full OS re-install... good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.