MacBook Pro internal display busted

Reaction score
I have an older mbp, it was unfortunatly part of the graphics card recalls. I had returned it with massive cosmetic damage, at first they said it wouldnt be covered but after talking to applecare they finally agreed with me that the chip was bound to fail regardless of how many dents it had. They replaced the LB as well as the entire casing except the LCD which they kept. It worked perfect for a month, now the internal display is not working at all. Other than that it starts up fine, sleeps fine, keyboard and trackpad working perfectly, it even works with my external display. I know i should still be covered by the repair protection but anybody have any clue what the problem could be? it cant be the graphics card or the LB because it wouldnt work without either. im really reluctant to send it back because I absolutely need it for school, i have everything backed up but i need to be able to bring it to class.
any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You haven't really explained why the display is not working....or why you think it is not working.

If your MacBook Pro had...like you said, "massive cosmetic damage"...it would seem since you had the logic board replaced...that one of the "massive cosmetic damage" events may have broken something internally that caused your display to fail....that was non-logic board related.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
sorry, the initial repair to replace the graphicscard was when the laptops damage was fixed, they replaced the housing and LB and returned it working fine, the screen is completely dark, it seems like it could be the backlights after doing a little bit of research but even with a flashlight i cant make anything out

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sorry, the initial repair to replace the graphicscard was when the laptops damage was fixed, they replaced the housing and LB and returned it working fine, the screen is completely dark, it seems like it could be the backlights after doing a little bit of research but even with a flashlight i cant make anything out

Ok...just to be totally clear...you're saying that your laptop when you got it back after the logic board & housing replacement worked fine...and then sometime afterwards the display stopped working properly?

How long after the repairs was it that the display stopped working?

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
exactly 1 month after i got it back it happened, and how it happened was i was using it, it died and went to sleep, plugged it in and waited about 10min to wake back up, and it woke up fine but no display

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
exactly 1 month after i got it back it happened, and how it happened was i was using it, it died and went to sleep, plugged it in and waited about 10min to wake back up, and it woke up fine but no display

Can you explain what you mean by "it died and went to sleep"?

Did:

- the display simply go black?
- did the computer totally shut down (no display, no hard drive spinning, etc.)?
- when this happened was the computer plugged in or running on battery power?
- did there happen to be a thunderstorm outside when this happened (power spike issues)?
- how long has it been since your computer display stopped working?

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
it was plugged in, no power spikes that i know of, my GFs macbook was also plugged into the same outlet at that time and nothing happened, no weather issues
it never shut down fully, it went to sleep when the battery died and the display never came back on but hardrive and fans are all spinning and working perfectly since i can use the external display, the fans were still running when it went to sleep before the display crapped out
this happened 2 days ago

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.