My video files won't load.

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
first of all, I'm not quite sure if I am posting this on the right section of the forum, so I apologize if I am wrong.
I'm new to mac (3 months user), and I'm having some video issues..
Well, my video files just won't work! They won't load, they won't show on preview (it just shows that "loading" circle).. not even youtube files load.
I have tryed reinstalling snow leopard and divx player (although they don't work on vlc nor quicktime either).
Any suggestions? anyone have been through something like that?
I aprecciate your attention

thanks a lot in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
In being a 3 month user, was this occurring before.... were you able to watch video files until now?

OP
T
Reaction score
Hey, that was a fast reply!
Answering to your question, yeah, I was able to watch any kind of video, be it .avi, .mpg, .mkv or whatever extension it is..
and all of a sudden they just won't work anymore!
on any player at all..
if I was using windows, I would proceed by uninstalling all codecs and reinstalling them, but on mac, it's all new to me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Obviously I don't know what occurred between working and suddenly not working....
But in your shoes, I would be using an app like appcleaner or app zapper and removing VLC, and divx player.
I would also, do a manual search through HD and user library looking for any residual stuff that appcleaner or appzapper may have overlooked.
Then I would backup my system, do a clean install (erase disk) again, and then reinstall VLC.... I wouldn't worry about reinstalling divx as I think it's dodgy personally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you are unsure about any of the above please ask before proceeding.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CLEAN INSTALL
Back up onto an external hard drive.
Then, insert your SL disc, and restart holding the C key when you hear the tone.
After you choose the language and press continue, go to utilities/disk utility in the menu bar.
Choose the HD (second in the left column) and select erase disk which by default will and should be formatted as Macintosh OS extended (journalled).
Once erased, exit disk utilities and continue installation.
Once installation is compete, it will ask you if you want to restore from a time machine backup or using migration assistant later.

OP
T
Reaction score
Well, since I am at work right now, I cannot go on with all those procedures..
I intend to do that later, tonight.
I will first stick to the removing applications part, by using appcleaner and not installing divx again..
if nothing happens, then I will try the "clean install" thing, since it seems like a risky thing to be done (sounds like a formatting HD on windows).
Its all too weird..
no videos, no software loading videos..
some people around me are supposing it has to do with my snow leopard.. and that I should switch back to leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The clean install thing isn't as intense as it seems, and its not reformatting... as the format that I mentioned is what it should be before and after the process....
I also forgot to mention, that before trying anything, you should go to utilities/disk utilities and repair disk permissions and see if this rectifies the situation.
As for snow leopard.... I am running snow leopard and have no issues whatsoever with videos or anything else for that matter.
The main thing is that not only I did a clean install, but also made sure that I didn't transfer back or install any software that wasn't yet compatible with snow leopard.

OP
T
Reaction score
uh oh.. I guess its not only videos.. but audio is also not loading and it makes most applications stuck.. so it all seems more serious than I imagined!
now.. lets talk about that erasing thing..
shall I back up manually all my files? how about applications.. will I lose my serials and keys? do I copy and paste them to the external HD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Before anything, run through these:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/93819-basic-os-x-mac-troubleshooting.html
If the problem has not been rectified, then,
there are a few back up methods.... you can use carbon copy cloner, superduper, or time machine, all of which will transfer everything as you had it, including your keychains, documentation, etc to keep everything running correctly.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1553
However, in saying that, you don't want to bring back any corrupt files or preferences when you restore your system from the back up.
I would recommend a clean install, which is the erase/install, as well as all the updates that are going to come up for itunes, 10.6.1, etc once you have reinstalled.
So, once this is done, the only download I would recommend is the latest VLC player from VLC media player for Mac OS X and then if your video files are working again (videos that you know with absolute certainty will either play in Quicktime or VLC), then you know that your problem lies in your old system setup.
If it still doesn't work, esp being a new Mac, then you know that it's time to visit Apple.

OP
T
Reaction score
oh my dear god!
I cannot believe what really happened..
first of all: problem solved and THANKS a lot for your help and concern.
the problem was audio!
since most videos have audio tracks alongside, they just wouldnt play!
I tried some mp3.. and it got me stuck.. then.. I realized I hade no volume at all..
if it was occuring on windows, I would jump to the conclusion it is a driver problem!
well.. I just had to... unplug the earphones and it all began working perfectly again!
too weird.. all too weird!
so.. thanks a lot for your attention.. and if you ever come down to Brazil.. I'll buy you a beer and a caipirinha!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL.... just glad to hear that you can enjoy your mac experience now.
After all this, please look into keeping regular bootable backups of your machine, so if you do run into such problems, that you have nothing to concern yourself about.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.