• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Burning movies to DVD...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
I need a faster way. I'm using iDVD right now, and it's using 150%+ of my CPU and says it's going to take over 2 hours to encode. Is there another app I can get that will create DVDs from other formats like .avi etc. much faster and use less CPU? If the quality on iDVD is excellent, I think I can put up with the long times, but if not I definitely want to find another way. FYI - I have the quality on professional quality for the current burn session only because I had to cut down on the timestamp. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Transcoding is NEVER a fast process and is usually a fairly highly cpu intensive process. In the case of encoding your DVD, you're transcoding AVI files into mpeg2 video files and appropriate audio files (either pcm or ac3, I don't know which iDVD outputs off hand). It's even worse if your video has to be resized to SD resolution (ie: if you had HD source footage).

Unfortunately, iDVD isn't designed to take in pre-transcoded video AFAIK, which means your stuck with its built in transcoder - you *might* get better performance if the original file was different (like a .MOV) but I honestly don't know if that would make any difference to the transcoder - but some containers and codecs do take more work to transcode then others.

The only way around this is to use a different tool to author your DVDs (like Moviegate or DVD Studio Pro). The negative with one of these other tools is they are either more complex (Studio Pro) or don't have near the quantity and appearance of the pre-built themes (Moviegate).

OP
ImageX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So basically you're saying the performance I'm seeing from iDVD is about normal and other programs would be about the same with a few trade-offs. I did like the quality of the movie that was converted and created with iDVD and so I think I can put up with it's long time and high CPU usage. Thanks for the input.

OP
ImageX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Another one you could try (I didn't think of off hand at the time) is Burn, it's free, doesn't have the flashy menus but it will author - and it might even transcode faster.

But in response to you ImageX - when it comes to transcoding, unless it's really short, I usually reserve that task to my Mac Pro (I use DVD Studio Pro and Compressor - compressor to transcode the video from .mov Pro Res to mpeg2 and AC3, then DVD Studio Pro to author the DVD) and even then it can take a while (I usually transcode 1080i or 720p to SD mpeg2/AC3 for DVD... The more cores, faster cpu, more ram you have the faster your transcodes will go (this is assuming the software that transcodes supports multiple cores)

Reaction score
what do you guys do if using idvd and the movie needs to span more than one disk. i am trying to burn a AVI file so I can watch it on my dvd player (doesn't support divx) but it is longer than 120 minutes I don't want to lose quality if thats how its done

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.