• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Help understanding something please?

Reaction score
I have had quite the day. I apologize for not having a more effective placement of this topic, it isnt technically MAC related...
to start: my facebook profile was supposedly only visible by friends and networks of mine. however...
I recieved a message from a complete stranger on facebook with a very personal email I had writen over 2 years ago, and a very sexually explicit chunk of text. He claims "your boyfriend is horny" after this.
I report him via facebook. Moments later I recieve an email saying that he can send all the "nasty little things you do" to everyone i know, in one click.
At this point i assumed that the email he sent was a blog post he may have found somewhere, and knowing most that hed find is harmless, but i later learned that it wasnt. It was old emails of mine.
I am so glad I was on the computer at the time...
my gmail had a pop up window saying that my password was incorrect. I didnt realize i had logged out. This notified me the INSTANT something was wrong.
I could not log in.
I tried to reset my password but my gmail account had been deleted. Time span : less than five minutes.
My boyfriend is following this course of events and rushes to check my facebook.
It has been hacked. My status was very sexually explicit, including the names of people I know and knew. A general hint of real past relationships were present, however grotesquely twisted. He took information from emails YEARS old, personal, private emails. A wall post was made on my boyfriends profile saying that I was pregnant. A note was made with personal emails posted. My boyfriend was tagged and promptly untagged himself as soon as it occured, THANK GOD.
10 minutes later my facebook profile was gone. Account deleted.
Then it hit me that the hacker could have saved my emails, and may have the power to re-activate my facebook account if he changed the email before deleting it. Facebook accounts are not permanently deleted at first, but simply disabled.
Any tips on contacting facebook to permanently destroy my account?
Likewise with Gmail, i have had ZERO success with contact beyond the "i want my account back" form. Their only reply is automated. I do NOT want my account back, I want it destroyed.
I am fearing for my personal information, and the possible exploitation of this information involving the last three (estimated) years of my life.
I have spent the last several hours changing every password possible.
What baffles me is that it was not a simple copy/paste of spam, NOT AUTOMATED, but a PERSON, reading through my emails, contacting me, and making connections with people amongst them and posting nasty things that could only be brought out of my emails.
I would like some answers. support. anything at this point.
I would also like to know if this ever HAPPENS!! I understand that basic hacking happens all the time but this seems like a lot of effort went into it to make me, personally, miserable.
I am fearing that if he went through this much trouble he could do practically anything.

ETA:: his profile on fbook disappeared before anything really happened.
The alias used was a place in the philipines. he emailed me a link to his myspace, i did not click it but searched on google and found twitter and myspace under that name with the same profile picture. Twitter had been very active recently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
WOW ...
For starters dont worry about where you posted this as it is anything goes ... :) One tick for you .
Havnt heard a story like this for quite awhile. Funny you have said this though, because as of today i got i funny message when trying to log into facebook, with the msg " Please enter your date of birth because we dont think the owner of the account is really you". And silly i know i did do my birth date as i wanted to sign into facebook.
I then had a friend tell me there was 4 of me in her chat window. Alarm bells hit me so i sent a msg to every friend telling them if they receive ANYTHING out of the ordinary from me to please ignore it and to tell me straight away. Lucky nothing yet.

I dont have a Gmail account so not sure what to do there but on FB you cane send a email to [email protected] and tell them your concerns.
That isnt a nice thing to do to anyone, and at the very least you should feel safe being online.
And remember if you do feel threatened enough, i would be going to your local police to see what they can do...

I know i havnt really hit a solution for you but hope you get joy at FB anyways.

Keep us posted :) And stay safe :)

OP
O
Reaction score
thanks for the reply :)
the weird part is, i remember no emails or anything seeming out of the ordinary. And I have a pretty good "bull-o-meter" !!
I get a couple facebook messages a day, when people post on my wall, and I suppose that I half "overlook" them by now, as they are so common. If one was tweaked... well, i'd think i'd notice, but obviously there is the chance that I didn't.
aside from that..i am turning up blank regarding HOW.

hopefully he has had his fun, but it is scary to think he isn't finished yet.

I am still awaiting a real reply from facebook, I did recieve the "we will get back to you soon" message.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Oneheart,
Did you ever have your Facebook set to " automatically login ".
There is piece of Flash code circulating on Facebook and Myspace that will abuse that setting and obtain access to all your info on Facebook.
Bad thing is that you don't need to activate this Flash code and you normally don't know if your private data is captured ( obviously you did )

Massive Facebook Flash Vulnerability Exposes User Data (Updated)

I know, messages like this always come too late.

Some sound advice .... never set any app. to " automatically logon " .... your credentials are the only keys to your kingdom.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
O
Reaction score
Thank you, McBie.
I always kept my facebook automatically logged on, and never thought much of it because i was the only person using this computer.
It never occured to me that it would make me vulnerable.
Thank you for that information! I will be sure to pass it on, and remember it in the future!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro unibody 2.26ghz, 4gb ram, 250 gb hard drive
time to change my settings!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
time to change my settings!

And if you use the same password for the email account you registered with Facebook, you might want to change that as well. And make sure it is a strong password.

There have been a number of Facebook account hijacks lately. A friend of mine recently had his hijacked, along with his Gmail account, in much the same manner as the OP.

The hacker started chatting with his contacts, trying to convince them that he was mugged in London and that he needed some money to get back to the states. Fortunately, my friend is actually a coworker and I knew that he was at work that day. So, while I was chatting the hacker up, my friend came up right behind me and was watching what his alter-ego was typing.

Reaction score
One more reason why we do not save your old emails and stuff. Read it delete it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
One more reason why we do not save your old emails and stuff. Read it delete it.
actually.. if you want to be far more accurate... never, ever, consider electronic communications to be private.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Great! Just great! When I finally jump into the Facebook world they have some kind of twisted security breach!:( Wonderful. THIS is why I never looked into social networking before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Facebook was a nice site when it was helping me stay connected with old schoolmates. Now it's telling me who I should talk to, and apparently leaking myinfo out everywhere. Thankfully, I don't use the same password. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.