• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anyone know anything about Public Utility right of way on private property?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well, I just got off the phone with a representative from the contractor that's doing the work on behalf of Verizon. She seemed friendly enough and told me that someone would give me a call later today to discuss the specifics. I guess we'll see what happens.

Good luck with it all mate. :) Hope you can come to a amicable solution.

In my eye's though , the placement of that box is the weirdest thing i have seen, being it on YOUR property....... I does look unsightly and a accident waiting to happen....

Trespass and destruction of property ?? :p

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Good luck with it all mate. :) Hope you can come to a amicable solution.

Well, a Verizon engineer, not affiliated with the contractor is supposed to call me tomorrow. The contractor did nothing today, nor did they bother to call me back. I was advised by a Verizon rep that the ball is now in Verizon's court and they will take care of any repairs separate from the contractor. So, let's see where that gets us.

In my eye's though , the placement of that box is the weirdest thing i have seen, being it on YOUR property....... I does look unsightly and a accident waiting to happen....

Trespass and destruction of property ?? :p

Well, in the US, public utilities have what is known as an "easement", which according to the contractor is 10' into the property line from public property. That means they can trespass and even dig should there be a problem or an infrastructure change. I don't believe it gives them the right to install any structure in that property, but we'll see.

My next step, should I receive no satisfaction, will be to file a formal complaint with the Public Utilities Commission, which has sided with me and fined Verizon on my behalf before (that's another story, but an interesting one at that). So, they have been responsive in the past, we'll see what happens this time.

If that doesn't work, I am tempted to file criminal charges for vandalism against the contractor. In my opinion, damaging my landscaping and digging holes without my explicit consent is an act of vandalism. So, this is far from over.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My next step, should I receive no satisfaction, will be to file a formal complaint with the Public Utilities Commission, which has sided with me and fined Verizon on my behalf before (that's another story, but an interesting one at that). So, they have been responsive in the past, we'll see what happens this time.

If that doesn't work, I am tempted to file criminal charges for vandalism against the contractor. In my opinion, damaging my landscaping and digging holes without my explicit consent is an act of vandalism. So, this is far from over.

Good luck buddy...sounds like you've sort of been down this road before!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Not saying you are right or wrong, but I will tell you one thing. They could put a huge hole in my roof during a rainstorm if they were giving me FIOS!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
I showed these to a coworker and good friend this morning. He called me the not-so-nice version of "wussy" when he saw it was sunken. Maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing and I should just get over it, but it's just gotten under my skin.
Hmmm maybe move it to your coworkers font yard. ;D

Edit: Just a little offish topic, I have fios at my house, and it freaking rocks. We have the 25Mbps/15Mbps connection here plus T.V and phone, simply outstanding. It is also cheaper than Direct T.V was with verizon dsl together.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good luck buddy...sounds like you've sort of been down this road before!

- Nick

With the PUC, yes. Long story made short, I had a service problem with Verizon about 2 years ago while my wife was pregnant. They inadvertently disconnected my landline, while attempting a DSL install. Essentially, they disabled the landline at the CO, but insisted that the only way to resolve the problem was by sending a technician to my home. It took well over a week to have the problem corrected, and received an incredible amount of indifferent, rude, and outright nasty responses from their customer service, despite the fact that I advised them that my wife was nearly full term and I needed the line for emergency services.

The PUC found that they were way out of compliance, particularly since they were advised that there was a potential for a medical emergency and fined them an undisclosed amount. At that point, I terminated my home phone with Verizon. The only business I do with them is with Verizon Wireless, which is actually a separate company (a joint venture by Verizon and Vodaphone).

I would have certainly given them another chance had they rolled FIOS out - not so sure about that now. It depends on how this pans out.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not saying you are right or wrong, but I will tell you one thing. They could put a huge hole in my roof during a rainstorm if they were giving me FIOS!

I would have agreed to an extent, a few months ago. But Comcast bumped my speeds up significantly. I'm now getting about 25Mb/s. I also get High Def, DVR, free HBO (at the moment), phone (with unlimited in-country long distance) and I pay $115/month until April. From what I can tell on Verizon's site, they don't have a package that comes close in terms of service at that price.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm maybe move it to your coworkers font yard. ;D

That's just the way he is, he means it in jest :)

Edit: Just a little offish topic, I have fios at my house, and it freaking rocks. We have the 25Mbps/15Mbps connection here plus T.V and phone, simply outstanding. It is also cheaper than Direct T.V was with verizon dsl together.

I'll be interested to see what kinds of promos they offer. Right now, it's not looking comparable to Comcast - at least in this area.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" imac,4GBram,extended keyboard,wireless mouse,19" second monitor
Well, a Verizon engineer, not affiliated with the contractor is supposed to call me tomorrow. The contractor did nothing today, nor did they bother to call me back. I was advised by a Verizon rep that the ball is now in Verizon's court and they will take care of any repairs separate from the contractor. So, let's see where that gets us.

Well, in the US, public utilities have what is known as an "easement", which according to the contractor is 10' into the property line from public property. That means they can trespass and even dig should there be a problem or an infrastructure change. I don't believe it gives them the right to install any structure in that property, but we'll see.

Just to be sure, you might contact your city officials to verify that distance of 10'. I believe it's a pretty standard figure but each city does have the ability to call it's own shots in that regard. I guess I wouldn't take the contractors word on that considering what has transpired up to this point.
Since no one bothered to call you back, I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that someone at Verizon and the contractors place are throwing the hot potato around to see who is going to have to worm their way outta this one!
Good luck with these clowns.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to be sure, you might contact your city officials to verify that distance of 10'. I believe it's a pretty standard figure but each city does have the ability to call it's own shots in that regard. I guess I wouldn't take the contractors word on that considering what has transpired up to this point.
Since no one bothered to call you back, I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that someone at Verizon and the contractors place are throwing the hot potato around to see who is going to have to worm their way outta this one!
Good luck with these clowns.

Well, I've already gotten my complaint written up for the PUC in the event that Doug, the engineer from Verizon doesn't call me back or gives me the runaround. I'm going to give them a chance as it's only been a couple of days since the box was put there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 266ghz, 4gig, 320gigHD, MacBook, 2.4ghz,250gigHD,4gigRam
For a small fee you could get a copy of your Platte map for your property from city hall, it should have the easement shown where it ends and where the utilities are. Its good to have a copy anyway for your records. And while your there at city hall you could ask for a copy of the plans for under ground construction by Verizon on your street that they have to file with the city before they start. I use to work years ago for a cable TV company in the Under ground construction dept. and judging by your photos, They well out of the easement! Most cities in the US. easement stops at the sidewalk that is closest to the house. I bet anything that Verizon has no idea that the contractor took a short cut across your property.

Good luck, Rick PS. You may get some money from Verizon to restore your landscaping ;D

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, Doug the engineer never called, nor did Mary, who promised repeatedly to follow-up, ever bother to call.

This morning, I filed my informal complaint with the Public Utilities Commission. For those of you interested, below is the body of the complaint:

Starting on 11/2, a subcontractor for Verizon, Quanta Services, began running FTTP (fiber optic to the premises) telecommunications lines, which it operates under the brand name "Verizon FIOS". A door hanger was left with each homeowner indicating that digging on my property may be necessary to complete the work. At that time, they did not indicate that any structures or devices would be placed within my property lines. On 11/3, a device with an exposed top was buried within my property line. This is inconsistent with the installation process for the rest of the neighborhood, where the devices are typically installed in the right-of-way area, between the sidewalk and the street. Additionally, the box poses a trip hazard in my front lawn, as well as a potentially dangerous impact zone, and renders this area unusable as a play area for my young children (18 months and 4 years old).

On 11/4, I contacted both Verizon and the contractor to notify them that this installation is unacceptable and that it was not installed with my consent. I also expressed displeasure with damages done to my landscaping, which had just recently been done by a professional landscaper just a few months prior.

After speaking in person with the subcontractor, I was told that the reason for the location of installation was because of the placement of gas lines (despite the fact that I had not been consulted in this decision). When I requested that the box be relocated, I was told that "We'll see what we can do".

I followed up with a call to the subcontractor's office as advised by the door hanger that had been left, but the party I spoke with was not able to help me and promised to have someone call me back the same day - this never occurred.

I have also spoken directly with Verizon Customer Service, and was told that a Verizon Engineer would be contacting me to address my concerns. That phone call was never received, nor have I been able to get in touch with the same customer service rep who promised to follow-up.

A satisfactory response to this complaint would be to relocate the box to the common area adjacent to my property (which is in itself a drainage basin, and classified as an easement), this would involve moving the box approximately 6 feet laterally from the existing location. This area is under the jurisdiction of the HOA representing common grounds in the development.

Alternatively, I have made the contractor aware that I would also find it acceptable to move the box into the right-of-way that I described previously.

Additionally, I would like to receive compensation for damage to my landscaping. I have yet to solicit a landscaping contractor for a quote, but will gladly do so if Verizon deems this course of action appropriate.

As an aside, I would strongly recommend that the PUC review the processes and procedures under which Verizon is conducting this project. At present, Verizon has absolutely no hotlines to address homeowner concerns, instead they rely upon the contractor to perform this service. Unfortunately, the subcontractor is completely non-responsive and unprofessional.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 266ghz, 4gig, 320gigHD, MacBook, 2.4ghz,250gigHD,4gigRam
Well, Doug the engineer never called, nor did Mary, who promised repeatedly to follow-up, ever bother to call.

This morning, I filed my informal complaint with the Public Utilities Commission. For those of you interested, below is the body of the complaint:

Perfect letter!!!!! Is it possible that there could "an accident" where that "Box" somehow was filled with "Ready Mix":p

Rick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Sorry to hear about that...I'm sure all of their "polite promises" to call you back was just a nice way of saying "F-U" if you know what I mean!;)

Of course now they're unfortunately forcing you to "kick things up a notch"...it's a shame when folks don't due what they promise.

I guess it's possible they were busy...

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perfect letter!!!!! Is it possible that there could "an accident" where that "Box" somehow was filled with "Ready Mix":p

Rick

Well, my intention is to be as passive-aggressive as I can be at this stage. This way I can be seen as 'the little guy, being stomped on by the big, bad utility' if and when this goes to a hearing. If I damage their property in some way, I'd imagine I can be held liable for the damages.

At worst what I would do is cover the box with topsoil and plant sod on top of it. Another thing that occurred to me is how unfortunate it would be if some vandal removed the lid. At that point, I'd be forced to fill the box with top soil to prevent a trip hazard. And if Verizon needed to use it, they'd probably have to dig the box out and dump it out. At which point, it would be just as easy to move it as it would be to put it back where it is. I'd even gladly dig them a new hole.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
At that point, I'd be forced to fill the box with top soil to prevent a trip hazard. And if Verizon needed to use it, they'd probably have to dig the box out and dump it out. At which point, it would be just as easy to move it as it would be to put it back where it is. I'd even gladly dig them a new hole.

Ha. Indeed.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
UPDATE: Bob from Verizon just called me, the box is now moved off of my property. Problem solved. Thanks for your support all!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
UPDATE: Bob from Verizon just called me, the box is now moved off of my property. Problem solved. Thanks for your support all!

Wow...thanks for the update...and congrats on the outcome!!!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Congrats cwa!! I've been reading this thread continuously following your story!

I guess this just proves that a calm, educated approach will get you what you want. The whole "system does work" line..

EDIT: cwa! On a side note, are you having Verizon pay for the landscaping they bunged up? Or are they just moving the box to the proper location?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Wonder how much they back charged the sub for that?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.